Should Norfolk Broads anglers....

Bob Bradford

The best fishing is early or late, and helped by the fact that there are less boats about. Why ever don't you have matches earlier?

Us real anglers are tucked up back in bed by then!

Edited by Peter Waller

Bob, the Rangers are patrolling at Beacham Arms, Bo-champ Arms, because of the wakeboarding, not because of you match boys. They are filming boat behaviour, not angling behaviour. The areas that are used for waterskiing are under review and the powers that be have realised that waterskiing and angling don't mix. They also realise that Bo-champ can't be moved and waterskiing can. Skiing is being reviewed because of the Ports and harbours safety review and because it is being reviewed under the agreement that allowed waterskiing for a three year test period in the first place. The Rangers might feasibly hate you on a personal basis, but they certainly aren't out to get you. In this instance they might even be helping you!

As an angler, if I was walking along the path and there was a Pole sticking out across the path, I would of course ask the angler to kindly remove it, if he didn't I would boot it as hard as I could!

If cycling was allowed along this path why should I have to stop and get off my bike?

Bob, the Rangers are patrolling at Beacham Arms, Bo-champ Arms, because of the wakeboarding, not because of you match boys. They are filming boat behaviour, not angling behaviour. The areas that are used for waterskiing are under review and the powers that be have realised that waterskiing and angling don't mix. They also realise that Bo-champ can't be moved and waterskiing can. Skiing is being reviewed because of the Ports and harbours safety review and because it is being reviewed under the agreement that allowed waterskiing for a three year test period in the first place. The Rangers might feasibly hate you on a personal basis, but they certainly aren't out to get you. In this instance they might even be helping you!

Great news ,if true of course, why then are the length of our poles (ooeer! excuse me missus) being reviewed? Peter you have made it very plain to anyone that has read your contributions on speakers corner you do not trust the BA and you sit on one of the committees , how do you think anglers feel? anyway I have said my piece lets see what unfolds.

Barbless, there are no problems on the match length of the Yare regarding footpaths either.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

If cycling was allowed along this path why should I have to stop and get off my bike?

If you're cycling fast enough down a canal towpath that people don't have time to move their poles out of the way, you're cycling far too fast for a shared use path.

Just a couple of quick points before I go fishing on the Yare Peter;

The proposal to restrict the use of long poles came from the Navigation Committee of the BA, thats the one YOU sit on.

I have a letter in front of me from the BA, originally given to Keith Ford the match organiser , it clearly states anglers will be filmed by BA patrol vessels, gathering evidence against anglers.

I have left a couple of messages for Adrian Vernon who is collating this evidence but he has not replied to me to date.

Peter, the reason we do not start earlier is to allow the lads from London and the midlands to travel to the venue early in the morning, they do not have fishing of the quality the Yare offers in their rivers and are quite prepared to travel, they love the place and are of course spending money in the area, these are top anglers, some are England Internationals and we wish to make them feel welcome, they know how to behave too!

Regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

just to add an alternative view point, as an angler myslef, long poles on rivers, or even canals, really get on my nerves, they take up all of the towpath, you have to tip toe round them whilst lugging your own gear (RODS!!!!!) and they never shift the sections out of ur way. At the same point, a minority of boaters also have no clue or regard for the angler.

Personally, i think it would be sensible to have a limit on pole length on rivers and canals, it may even bring about folk using real fishing tackle!