gill nets

danno 1

The mesh size was about 2" square, so well undersize. That particular net now no longer exists so not a problem and i have an eye on that spot. If another one appears then i will definately be in touch with the SFC

I'm sorry to disapoint you but the mesh size sounds more likely to be 4" ie 2" from one knot to the next.

If this is the case it would only catch very large mackerel and would be more likely to catch bass, if they were there, that were well over the minimum landing size.

"I fish therefore I am"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have mentioned it earlier but an easy way to indicate that a net maybe being used in a Bass area ilegally is to try to push your flat hand through the mesh if you cannot get it through then it is PROBABLY illegal. This tip was passed to me by a SFC officer.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Stating the obvious but as kayak fisherpeople many of us come across nets on a fairly regular basis - being without propeller we do not risk entanglement and can paddle right up to and over them - if the nets not set deep we can check its mesh size.

With the right information we can act as watchdogs for given areas - last year in Poole Harbour I reported a small boat to the Harbour Master who I suspected of illegally netting bass; I figured the crew of the boat overheard my conversation on the VHF as they soon sped off.

I need to find & add the Southern Fisheries hotline number to my mobile in case I think something untoward is happening. I've seen the fisheries boat patrols in my area so perhaps there is a chance that on some occassions they may be able to act there and then. There's also a hotline number for reporting suspect nets in Poole Harbour.

Would be useful if people could add the phone numbers of their local fisheries office here.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Chief Fisheries Officer for The Southern Sea Fisheries Committee which covers the Hayling Island to Lyme Regis Coastline is Ian Carrier. The land line is 01202 721371 and e-mail:- southernsfc@btconnect.com

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I may have mentioned it earlier but an easy way to indicate that a net maybe being used in a Bass area ilegally is to try to push your flat hand through the mesh if you cannot get it through then it is PROBABLY illegal. This tip was passed to me by a SFC officer.

As you probably know darnsarf bylaws on net legality vary from region to region. It would be worth the original poster to measure the mesh size and then check with his local sea fish committee to end all this speculation.

"I fish therefore I am"

Firstly , I'm going to apologise for my earlier post , I should'nt have insulted Brian, so , Brian I'm sorry, and I also apologise to the forum as a whole. It shows what an emotive subject this is . Going back to the nets , why in your opinion Brian, are the nets set in this location totally legal ?

CS your right! But often people dont have a tape measure. Additionally, if you dont actually catch the boat laying the nets it makes life dificcult for the SFCs. They then record the activity as probable and use it to build a library of locations that can allow them to mount operations later.

I was able to ID the boat and its port. So with the proof of size it looks as though SFC has been able to do something about it. Mind you won't know for definate until next set of springs. Now that can only be a good thing. I know some registered skippers and they hate these mavericks as much as we do.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)