Alcohol based hand cleaner

Rob Ward

My missus has started carrying a tube of this stuff in her bag. It's an alcohol based gel that you just rub into your hands to clean them, it's supposed to kill 99.99% of bacteria.

A tube of this to take fishing could be just the ticket to clean your hands after handling fish and bait. However - the one she uses has a lemon scent so having been bitten in the past after using insect repellent that tainted my baits after getting it on my hands I'm wary.

Any thoughts anyone?

It's along the same lines as this stuff:

cuticurahandgel.jpg

Edited by Rob Ward

I bought something similar from Boots at the weekend, for exactly what you suggest. It's not alcohol based, however, and seems odourless as far as my nose can tell. "No Germs Hand Sanitizer"

Guest Ferret1959

I know this sounds like me being funny but why not wait 'til the end of your session to clean yer hands but just swill in the water between fish?

Bait wouldn't get wrong smells then. :)

You could contact Archie Braddocks and see if he can do a 'surprise' hand wash for ya. :D

Having read this, I just tried some of the stuff my daughter has to use while on placement at hospital.

It's alcohol based, when you first put it on it just smells like vodka, but immediately, after there's no discern able smell what so ever. To my nose any way. Maybe Judy can put us on the right track

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I know this sounds like me being funny but why not wait 'til the end of your session to clean yer hands but just swill in the water between fish?

Because I don't tend to eat at the end of a session?

Bait wouldn't get wrong smells then. :)

You could contact Archie Braddocks and see if he can do a 'surprise' hand wash for ya. :D

because its the water where you will get weils from not the fish :)

i use a fragrence free one,its achohol based(evaporates)

,no need for towels,

hence no cross contamination .

less than a couple of quid and lasts ages. :yeah:

because its the water where you will get weils from not the fish :)

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it was more common to catch Weil's disease from damp, rat urine contaminated banks than from the water itself; I think this was in the context of canoeists putting their hands down onto damp grass when getting into and out of the water. It's a risk wherever wet rat urine is found, so keeping one's hands out of the water does not necessarily guarantee safety.

We have to keep the risk in context, of course; it was only when we night-fished it in our late teens that we discovered that the boating lake we had been fishing for the previous five years was absolutely crawling with rats. We didn't take any precautions, and we didn't get sick. I'm a bit older and more careful now.

Weils is a risk but you're far more likely to pick up a nasty stomach bug if you're eating your sarnies with mucky hands. I did a 48 hour Catfish session recently at a water that had 'toilet facilities' unfortunately I forgot to take Soap and the cleanest my hands got was a scrub with cold water. This was what made me think that gel stuff could be a good idea - I was using raw Salmon for bait and cooking and eating on the bank, lucky I didn't get a stomach bug really.

Edited by Rob Ward