Scrambler XT Kayak.......rigged

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity, yes the ones astern of the seat that it comes with. Serve me right for meddling - silly idea this DIY.

I have got two of the three to go back home so it is secure. It is just the last one to try to get to bite. It won't, the captive thread is just spinning in the Sikaflex and as soon as you take pressure of the screwdriver it spins back again! Bloody nuisnace - so near and yet so far...!

I have tried putting a flat head under the head of the machine screw and lifting to put more pressure on the captive thread while turning the screw in - still no good. Got highly *****d off with it and so put it back upside down and left it for a bit while I calm down!

ANY ideas to get the machine screw to go back home gratefully received. Johnsons were going to get some info from Ok for me last week - still waiting, maybe they are stll awaiting advices from HQ. I'll give them a ring tommorrow and see what they suggest.

Simon

PS - looks like the weather might be nice at the wekend - is that plaice trip still on?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

OK have come back about my fastner. The captive threads are actually within a bonded "cup" the Sikaflex is overspill from the rod holder gunwale cap. Even without a fastner there is no leakage beyond the thread, just into the thread area, so about a thimblefull!

I suggested shortening the machine screw and filling the hole with epoxy - well stuffing a bit down it - and then just pushing the machine screw down into the hole and weighting it to clamp it down until the gooo goes off. I shall then have the screw held down by the thread with a strong bond to the fabric of the hull. They said that was a good idea - so I am going to do that.

They also said it was unusual for a captive thread to come loose as they are actually rotomoulded into place and should be immersed in the hull material. I am still not going to chance the second side - not until I see how successful my araldite fix is! Just in case I have to do the same the other side!

The kayak paddles well though and is pretty rapid - by which I mean it is easy to paddle,not taking up much energy at all.

Fish look out - especially those plaice! I just need a source of bait now....!

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yakity,

Got some Scotty gear sent over. The rod holder converters are excellent. They fit down the the flush mounts and go home with a snug fit, bit of a click at the bottom. Then you can fit any of the rod holster stems into the fitting that protrudes from the flush mount - it is a stem that fits down the tube and snugs onto the cross pin. With the spinning rod holders in place it suits the Prowler 13 beautifully. With the rods angled forwards at about 45 degrees The butts are well clear of your shoulders and the cargo well. The rod tips are out in front where you can see them and everything is clear of the paddle stroke - that'll do for me! With a take the rods are easy to reach too. So that was a quick and easy set up.

Then forward I am going to mount a standard flush mount fitting in the flat pad on the console designed for the very thing. That will give me the choice of fishing two rods astern of the seat, or one rod astern, one rod on the bow, or with the triple mounting bar on the bow I can fix two rods there. Very versatile and only the one mount to actual fit. For paddling at night the staff mounted all round white light fits into the rod holder converter in the stern - or stuck in a drain scupper! BUT, the light needs to be astern of the paddler or you will be "blinded by the light" as one Manfred Mann once sang. In the rod holder is the best bet - well out of the way. It can live behind my seat when not in use held in place by a bit of bungy, or stuck in one of the seat scuppers, just to keep it tidy.

I am not going to bother with a fish finder set up just yet. I've managed in the boat for years without one - I'll just tag along with others who have one :D:D:D (did my laughers come up? First ones i've used!)

I made a paddle leash attachement out of a short length of parachute cord - made it into a closed loop and then just cow-hitched around the paddle shaft - clip the leash onto that! The rubber grommets they include with the leash are great for a take down paddle, not so easy to put over the end of a one-piece! Those rubber grommets make excellent leash attachments for rods though! :D

By mixing the attachemnts carefully you only need to actually buy one flush mount, the triple bar mount, two converter bars and two spinning rod holders. Everything else you add will fit those mounts. Neat, not too heavy and uncomplicated. Like me :D:D

Management has got us booked for going out on Friday night - so that is my dawn raid on the Welsh coast gone. It will just have to be a normal start time!

Cheers for now,

Simon

PS - meant to ask how the hatch is coming along. I still think a home made inner cover is the best bet. I am going to make one for the Prowler - easier to get on again than the stretchy neoprene one - Maybe i'll just put a draw string in place of the elastic.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon,

Well , it sounds like youve been busey. :D

Glad everything has worked for you.

The fishfinder may take your fancy later on.

Did I tell you , Ive found a nice cover for mine , no-one else can see it :D:D:P

No , still no news on the hatch, but had a mail from Simon , who is making enquireies.

Im sure things will turn out O.K.

Just damned annoying after doing all the work, and being ready to go fishing.

Cheers.

yy :)

hi all

yakity that looks like sheer fun!

is there anywhere on the south/southwest coast that hires these floating tackle shops out ,love to give it a go. never been in a kayak before only a cannoe and that was down a river not the sea.

good luck with the maiden voyage make sure you take plenty of pics and post em