Anchoring on Snaggy bottom

slendersunfish

About to go for it in a 15ft Prowler but have a question on Anchoring ....... How viable is this on Snaggy rocky coast ,I could understand a sandy bottom taking an anchor but not the snaggy llyn shoreline.

Can anyone help and do you anchor in these sort of places!

Snaggy ground means losing anchors, you have a few choices, either use a bag of rocks, cheap, keep a couple of grapnels on board and use a tested way of tripping them, chain fixed to bottom of anchor and thin wire or cable tie on top of anchor so when pulled hard they break leaving the anchor to pull out backwards.

Or make some wire anchors up, there is an article on how to make one on the AnglersAfloat articles page.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Only thing to add is that it is very viable using the tripping system metioned above but use the lightest cable tie you can get your hands on. I tend to fish rocky marks a lot and touch wood haven't lost an anchor for ages. Always carry a spare though. Just in case.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Only thing to add is that it is very viable using the tripping system metioned above but use the lightest cable tie you can get your hands on. I tend to fish rocky marks a lot and touch wood haven't lost an anchor for ages. Always carry a spare though. Just in case.

Yep I was fishing a rocky bottom this weekend, thought I'd snagged the rocks (bit more resistance). Didn't notice till I came to chuck the anchor back out that the cable tie had done it's job. I used a thick cable tie, and cut about 2/3 of the way thro. That's after loosing an anchor without part cutting it.

Starvinmarvin's recommendation for checking you can break it on dry land is worth doing, bear in mind you can't pull that hard when afloat! :D

Malibu 2

dscf0011qu6.th.jpgI fish a reef very often and it's littered with lobster pot bouys. I use the purpose made bungee in the picture---loop one end round the bouy and connect the other end to your anchor trolley and bob's your uncle :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

An alternative way to make a self-tripping/self-setting anchor is to use a length of 8mm nylon cord or wire rope as a bridle between the head and toe of the anchor.

The bridle is made fast to the eyes where you would otherwise attach your chain. A bit of play is left in it - just an inch or so. The shackle of your chain is then attached on the running bridle so it can run free from the head of the anchor - in the set position, to the toe in the tripped position. To tie my anchor line to the chain I use a doubled length and make a loop, then by putting the chain through the loop before attaching the anchor you can loop to loop join the line to the chain.

The anchor runs on the bridle and to trip all you have to do is paddle up tide/wind and pull it out the way it went in - somewhere in the mists of time there were some pictures of the system but as I have filled my allocation of picture space I can't put them up again - I bet Specimen or Zzippy could find them and re - post them, they are clever like that!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo