Trolling

SeaDooDavid

Just what I was looking for, thanks very much spuds, will get trying :):)

Dave

i have some of those small redgills about 3" long i believe mike ladle uses them with a fly rod for bass . have not tried them yet but if they work like their bigger cousins should work well

:)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

:) Rapala xrap.mackeral colours,have worked for me.Also small bubble float then swivel with 6-10ft light line with pearl white small redgill.Troll with the tide and slight angle over shallow reefs or other feature.Have lures about 50yds back and troll 1-2 mph.Have picked up Bass,Mackeral and Pollock this way.Good on a rising spring tide especially at dusk/dawn.Avoid anywhere where there are moorings as i have found to my cost that the Lures will invariably foul these.

One more question! Do you just troll the lure directly from the line, via a snap swivel etc or do you need some kind of weight to keep the lure down while trolling? This was the main thing I was unsure of? Or does anybody have any good links to sites that show how to rig for trolling??.

Ta

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Usually no weight, just the lure, but it depends on the lure and the depth of the water. If you are trolling a shallow diver running around will 2ft that will be fine in shallow water. A deep diver, like my fav Rapala Sliver, runs around 8-12f. If you need to troll deeper then you can use a weight on a boom and fish the lure off a long trace, that way you can fish a floating shallow diver deep.

Simple huh?

Usually no weight, just the lure, but it depends on the lure and the depth of the water. If you are trolling a shallow diver running around will 2ft that will be fine in shallow water. A deep diver, like my fav Rapala Sliver, runs around 8-12f. If you need to troll deeper then you can use a weight on a boom and fish the lure off a long trace, that way you can fish a floating shallow diver deep.

Simple huh?

EXACTLY what I wanted :):):)

Thanks spanner, much appreciated mate, will give it a go when this weather settles! (blowin a hoolie here at the mo :blink:

Cheers

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

If you use a red gill, you are going to need a lead on it it keep it down, and are therefore more liklely to snag as you slow down/ turn/ or stop.

Floating or suspended diving lures are the way forward in a kayak- Rapala magnums are good but sink, and expensive to lose!

I have tried stuffing little lead weights inside redgills, and then using them for casting like any other lure- seems to allow them to still work.

B.A.S.S. member

:) David,I see you live in cumbria which is similar coastline to where i live in north Devon ?.I tend to troll the lures around rocky headlands or snaggy shallow reefs where shore anglers or charter boats won't go.depths vary from 8-20ft very rocky gound with pinnacles or weed which tends to hold bass or pollock.I sometimes use a very small snap link swivel to prevent line twist and to change lures.The Xrap works down to about 5ft and will float when not being worked.The bubble float with small pearl gill works just under the surface and is good aound weeded areas arond 6ft deep (estuary mouths etc).Set the clutch on your reel very light as the ratchet will alert you of a take and will also prevent a crack off if you are unlucky enough to get snagged. I also sometimes tie the lure on using the rapala knot which allows the lure to work unhindered. I personally would'nt use extra items to weigh the lures down but different venues need different methods. I like to kepp things simple/stupid :lol: There is nothing like the first time your ratchet starts whiiring and you realise it is'nt because you got snagged.If you catch and release then bend down the barbs on your hooks this also prevents nasty accidents in the yak as the hookpoints need to be supersharp.A couple of months ago whilst retrieving a snagged lure this pinged back and stuck in my ear :o I looked like Pat Butcher

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Superb!! Cheers Spuds :) I will have a crack at it the way you say without any weight! ( I have a little rapala with a lovely waggle action so will try the rapala knot). I look forward to the sound of the ratchet chirping away at me yeaaaaaah :yeah:

However the picture in my mind of Pat Butcher was frightening!! Errrw!

Cheers mate

SDD~~ :sun: