Trolling

SeaDooDavid

Right, time to show my ignorance (again!) I have never trolled at all and was wondering if there is a simple method and rig to use?. I have a abu trolling rod and multiplier to suit. I would like to troll the storm, shad type lures I bought on holiday (yep Prowler Iron stores LOL) but have had no success on the net trying to find advice!. Do I need a trolling vane thingy? or can I just wap it behind me in a rod holder and paddle away?. Any advice appreciated, and I won't cry at any sarcasm, I can take / am used to it LOL :lol:

Cheers :)

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Are you intending to troll river or sea? I have had no luck in the river with the Storm rubber lures as they just go straight down and snag the bottom/weeds - excellent for casting/reeling though. The only success i'm having in the river is with rapala floating lures and Shakespeare Midi S (which floats when still, dives a bit when paddling). I am just trying to discover what works at present, and am using one 10ft rod with a multiplier and trying slow and fast paddling. I can't offer advice on speed as I'm totally unsure - hopefully someone else can because I'm waiting to know too.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Right, time to show my ignorance (again!) I have never trolled at all and was wondering if there is a simple method and rig to use?. I have a abu trolling rod and multiplier to suit. I would like to troll the storm, shad type lures I bought on holiday (yep Prowler Iron stores LOL) but have had no success on the net trying to find advice!. Do I need a trolling vane thingy? or can I just wap it behind me in a rod holder and paddle away?. Any advice appreciated, and I won't cry at any sarcasm, I can take / am used to it LOL :lol:

Cheers :)

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Ask Fishfingers.He knows how to TROLL :rolleyes:

zzippy2.gif

Ask Fishfingers.He knows how to TROLL

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Ask Fishfingers.He knows how to TROLL

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Ha ha, not getting into that, already in enough trouble for speaking my mind :lol: obviously you can have free speach as long as its ok with Elton! (very 1984!) but want to concentrate on the fishing and yakking side of things anyway, you guys are the real site so thanks for the advice.

Mark

It's sea I would like to try and troll, I have used the lures with success like you say reeling in etc, but wanted to troll between paddles to marks. I have a few rapala's so will give em a try like you say mate ta!.

Its the snagging on the bottom thing I am worried about, which is why I asked about the trolling vane things I have seen advertised?. They are supposed to keep the lure at a "settable level" but maybe you can do this by varying the weight?. Will experiment and give it a try.

Thanks again

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

I did try Rapala Magnums in the sea in a ten minute splash about, but on turning or going slowly they snagged a cracked off line and I lost one. I'll use them when I get more experienced I think. I think a floater is a good starter, or diving floater, just until you get the practice.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

If you just want to catch a few mackeral try trolling a string of feathers with a 3 ounce weight (or substitute weight for a weighty spinner) - I troll up to a few knots and catch them like this.

For garfish I've caught them whilst trolling a small ragworm and one ounce ball weight at normal paddle speed (3.5 -4 knots) which keeps the bait up near the surface - use small hooks and also try small strips of fish as an alternative to rag.

I bought one of those bulkly paravanes but never got round to using it - as mentioned you can buy lures which dive to preset depths.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

:) Rapala xrap.mackeral colours,have worked for me.Also small bubble float then swivel with 6-10ft light line with pearl white small redgill.Troll with the tide and slight angle over shallow reefs or other feature.Have lures about 50yds back and troll 1-2 mph.Have picked up Bass,Mackeral and Pollock this way.Good on a rising spring tide especially at dusk/dawn.Avoid anywhere where there are moorings as i have found to my cost that the Lures will invariably foul these.

Hobie Mirage Outback.

Ha ha, not getting into that, already in enough trouble for speaking my mind :lol: obviously you can have free speach as long as its ok with Elton! (very 1984!) but want to concentrate on the fishing and yakking side of things anyway, you guys are the real site so thanks for the advice.

Mark

It's sea I would like to try and troll, I have used the lures with success like you say reeling in etc, but wanted to troll between paddles to marks. I have a few rapala's so will give em a try like you say mate ta!.

Its the snagging on the bottom thing I am worried about, which is why I asked about the trolling vane things I have seen advertised?. They are supposed to keep the lure at a "settable level" but maybe you can do this by varying the weight?. Will experiment and give it a try.

Thanks again

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

oops should'v read "Newt", not Elton!! Sorry Elton!!

:) Rapala xrap.mackeral colours,have worked for me.Also small bubble float then swivel with 6-10ft light line with pearl white small redgill.Troll with the tide and slight angle over shallow reefs or other feature.Have lures about 50yds back and troll 1-2 mph.Have picked up Bass,Mackeral and Pollock this way.Good on a rising spring tide especially at dusk/dawn.Avoid anywhere where there are moorings as i have found to my cost that the Lures will invariably foul these.

Just what I was looking for, thanks very much spuds, will get trying :):)

Dave