Leadcore query

*Ant*

Just after a few opinions here if possible. :)

I use leadcore for most of my carping and am quite happy with my set-up when fishing at distance but not quite happy when fishing quite close in when i'm casting with just an underarm flick.

I make my own leaders by using the splicing method with a loop at each end (not totaly confident with my ability with the needle knot), but I always end up with a small limp section at the loop where i've removed the lead core in order to make the splice.

Now this limp section isn't a problem when fishing at distance as i'm feathering the spool just before my lead is hitting the water, thus straightening out the endtackle.

Still with me?

Well i'm not totally confident when fishing close in and using an underarm cast up against a feature. I have this picture in my mind that because there is a limp section at each end of the leadcore that my endtackle is landing on the bottom all bunched up in a mess. Of coarse I can pull back to straighten it all out, but that is not always the case due to weed/snags or the thought that you could be just pulling your lead and leadcore into your rig.

Phew :unsure:

Now if you are still following me :D ........ the problem is only at the end that I join to my mainline due to the fact that either the inline lead or safety lead clip that i'm using is doing the job of keeping "that" end of the leadcore rigid.

Yes I know this is a little problem that is probably all in my head :unsure: but I want my leadcore to be as rigid as possible, almost acting as a boom so to speak. Now the spliced section is always going to be limp due to the fact you have to remove a section of the lead core, but how do I get around this?

My current thinking is perhaps using a small section of stiff shrink tube or maybe even superglue?

If you've followed all of that I would appreciate any opinions on a fix or even opinions that i'm thinking to much about a problem that doesn't really exist (although i'm certain it does :huh: )

Thanks - Ant :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I use superglue which makes it very stiff.

think you will alot of the pretied ones on the market also use super glue

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

All the way through reading your post i was thinking shrink tubing until i read just that. Id give it a go at home and see what you think to it, certainly nothing to lose by using some, should also protect your knots abit more. To be honest though i use rig tubing rather than leadcore ;)

Edited by steve17

steve.

Hello mate, you can actually move the limp section to the other end of the leadcore by trapping the outer braid and inner core with your left hand (rod end) then pulling the outer back with the right hand so that the lead core pulls up to the loop, then realse the left hand and pull back the outer braid. If this doesn't make send I'll try and draw it for you. Stu :yeah:

Thanks for the replies fellas and yes it did make sense Stu :D .

It's good to know that you didn't think I was bonkers and it's obviously something that you've thought about before. :)

I made up a couple last night during insomnia time using a couple of lengths of shrink tube and it seems to have had the effect I was wanting, just need to see how they hold up in a fishing situation but think i've got it sussed. :thumbs:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Thats good news Ant, let us know if you notice an improvement in your catch results when fishing close in then, certianly should decrease them unless the carp in your lake a shrink tube shy ;)

steve.