multipliers and braid

dom16

I read somewhere on the internet that when using braid on a multiplier without a level wind, the braid can get trapped into itself as it is not lying at an angle to the braid beneath it. Is this true, and does the level wind make the line lay at an angle to the line beneath it?

I read somewhere on the internet that when using braid on a multiplier without a level wind, the braid can get trapped into itself as it is not lying at an angle to the braid beneath it. Is this true, and does the level wind make the line lay at an angle to the line beneath it?

G'day mate. If you intend buying an overhead reel without a level wind, get the store to do it for you.

I have 4 overhead reels that I put 30 lb mono backing on, about 100 metres and top-shot with 20 lb braid. Never once have I had a trapped line.

You need to use the "educated thumb" principle; as you wind in, use the thumb of the other hand to guide the line across the reel, slightly.

Level wind, on most overheads, does not lay line cross-wise. I believe a few were made, but did not catch on too well.

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

i use an ABU C3,it has a level wind thank god,i would struggle a bit without it,i only get beeding if i overcast and dont feather the line,usually sorted quickly tho!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I use almost nothing except braid and although I have seen the 'trapping' happen a few times (always when I'd done something stupid) it is not a real problem.

I've not seen any difference between level wind reels and those without the level wind.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The level wind simply moves the line back and forth across the spool to keep it from bunching in one spot.

You can do the same job with an educated finger but you do have to remember so the levelwind makes things a bit easier.

The only real downside of a levelwind is that it reduces casting distance a bit.

I have levelwind reels for all my baitcasting and shorter range carping. I have a pair of lever drag large spool reels for sea fishing from shore (where you really need distance) and for really long range carp angling but there I mostly cheat and place the bait by boat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President