Proposals for banning of Tope Fishing

richi

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060727a.htm

I sent them my views a week or so back and recieved a reply today stating that my comments were noted and that they would inform me of the outcome

so come on all you kayak topers get writing!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060727a.htm

I sent them my views a week or so back and recieved a reply today stating that my comments were noted and that they would inform me of the outcome

so come on all you kayak topers get writing!!!!!!!!!!

yep I did it as well. Probably got the same letter back.

Even if you haven't gone for Tope this is an important moment for RSA. It will be the first time a species has been recognised as being more value to RSA than to commercial fisherman. It could set the ball rolling and more species can be protected. Helping secure the sports future and our status as a stakeholder within the sea fishing community. Suggest also mentioning Kayak fishing. Time to spread the word. I pointed out that I had spent over £1200 to equip myself to safely fish for the likes of Tope. Compared to the recent 111lb british record that was killed and landed for a profit of £1.50 by commercials.

Also pointed out that Tope are very susceptable to exploitation due to their slow reproductive cycle. One years over fishing can take a decade to recover.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

The tope deserves your little bit of effort that it will take to pen 15 lines in a letter and the cost of the stamp.

Try to include how much you have spent on tackle, visiting remote rural areas of the coast (fishing villages are exactly that) to go fishing, the value of your charter trips and accommodation for the night before, fuel in the local petrol station and food and beer in the local pub(s). ALL THAT adds up to the value of RSA - and it is more than 10x the value of commercial fishing.

Remember, tope have very little commercial value, but their sporting qualities mean they are extremely valuable as a recreational fish. They are also very susceptible to commercial fishing pressure, something that RSA does not put on them. The ecological impact of RSA is negligible, the ecological impact of commercial fishing for them is disasterous and for virtually no financial reward - a commercial fisherman will spend more on fuel than he will get back from the fish unless he absolutely decimates an entire population. That is contrary to all conservation aims of the Government - or do they support the local extinction of certain fish species?

There you go folks - that is the basis for a letter and it has taken me 2 minutes - so you have absolutely no execuse to NOT write. That is one of the problems the recreational sector faces - actually mobilising the 1.4 million sea anglers into standing up for themselves and their rights. They seem happy to just let someone take their fish away from them.

Pick up your pen and write something - now. It doesn't have to be clever or a literary work of art, just put down on paper how fishing benefits you on your days off (recharges your batteries ready for another week at work) and the value of these commercially worthless fish to sports fishing. That is all you need to say - and how much you spend on your fishing (but don't let the manageress see it!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

The tope deserves your little bit of effort that it will take to pen 15 lines in a letter and the cost of the stamp.

Try to include how much you have spent on tackle, visiting remote rural areas of the coast (fishing villages are exactly that) to go fishing, the value of your charter trips and accommodation for the night before, fuel in the local petrol station and food and beer in the local pub(s). ALL THAT adds up to the value of RSA - and it is more than 10x the value of commercial fishing.

Remember, tope have very little commercial value, but their sporting qualities mean they are extremely valuable as a recreational fish. They are also very susceptible to commercial fishing pressure, something that RSA does not put on them. The ecological impact of RSA is negligible, the ecological impact of commercial fishing for them is disasterous and for virtually no financial reward - a commercial fisherman will spend more on fuel than he will get back from the fish unless he absolutely decimates an entire population. That is contrary to all the stated conservation aims of the Government - or do they support the local extinction of certain fish species?

There you go folks - that is the basis for a letter and it has taken me 2 minutes - so you have absolutely no execuse to NOT write. That is one of the problems the recreational sector faces - actually mobilising the 1.4 million sea anglers into standing up for themselves and their rights. They seem happy to just let someone take their fish away from them.

Pick up your pen and write something - now. It doesn't have to be clever or a literary work of art, just put down on paper how fishing benefits you on your days off (recharges your batteries ready for another week at work) and the value of these commercially worthless fish to sports fishing. That is all you need to say - and how much you spend on your fishing (but don't let the manageress see it!)

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

[quote name='darnsarf' date='Aug 14 2006, 09:31 PM' post='659802' Suggest also mentioning Kayak fishing.

surely you don't think I forgot to mention to tell them about the yak :rolleyes:

E-Mail is all you need to do

SAVE OUR SPORT!!!!

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Knowing you Ben Bradshaw has now got a picture of a flame P13 next to the wife and kids on his desk. :D

Its probably next to Yarak! B):lol:

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Nice thread Richi and thanks Simon for saving me time outlining what to write. I did the same earlier this year when you listed a sample letter for the Bass MLS consulatation. Changed a few words here and there, was sent via email and was accepted.

It's never been easier for us to make our voices heard and it seems people are starting to listen. 5 min job max if you have an email address and know where the letters are on your keyboard.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Knowing you Ben Bradshaw has now got a picture of a flame P13 next to the wife and kids on his desk. :D

Its probably next to Yarak! B):lol:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

WHY DON'T THEY JUST BAN FISHING :angry:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?