getting past perch swalling hook

s_mac

just keep trying, with practice it comes easier to unhook deephooks with a disgorger, even if it does harm them thers thousands to take its place, just those realy big perch you wanna be more sensible with, also the quiker you can strike a perch the better as it doesnt have time to swallow it

greedy buggers.

also if you deephook a large one and having troubles unhooking give it a break in a landing net to recover for a while.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Hi all. im fairly new to fishing, fished a couple of years now. the venue i fish has some nice bream, but alot of little roach and perch. the roach are not a problem, im happy to sit all day and catch them. but every perch i catch even the ones the length of your finger have nearlly always taken the hook right down.

i use barbless hooks, if i increase the size of the hook, then i loose on the bream bites, if i strike early, then i am looseing the bream, as it seems the best way is to let the bite develop, they seem to test it out before taking it.

what im looking for is there any easy way do retrieve the hook. is it better to cut the hook or continue to try to remove it after a couple of attempts and risk hurting the fish.

i dont mind how many hooks i would loose as long as the fish would be ok if i left it.

hope you can all help many thanks and regards s.mac

try a slammo disgorger, they will remove a hook from the fleshy part of the perch at the back of its throat every time and they are the best disgorger's for bream as well.

don't concern your self with striking speed as perch can sit on a bait and swallow the bait before moving off (bite detection point) you can only do what you can when the fish is in your hand, if the hook is to far down i.e yo cant see or feel it then you have to bite the line.

but slammos are quite long and fish friendly and there are no severe edges to harm the fish.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Use casters as bait instead of maggots. Because they don't move, the perch aren't so attracted to them. It takes longer for the fish to "come on" to casters, maybe even an hour, but when they do you might be surprised how much bigger they can be. Patience is the key, you have to be prepared to keep feeding the casters and not be tempted to put any maggots in.

try a slammo disgorger, they will remove a hook from the fleshy part of the perch at the back of its throat every time and they are the best disgorger's for bream as well.

I can reccommend slammo disgorgers aswell, great for removing hooks easily.

Angler's Mail often gives them away free.

Here is what one looks like Slammo Disgorger

Lads, please re-read what I wrote above. If the hook is out of sight down a perch's throat, please don't use a disgorger, however good the model is for other species.

If you can see the bend of the hook (as opposed to the shank) there shouldn't be a problem of course as the hook won't be in the throat of the perch. Then a disgorger or forceps are fine.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Lads, please re-read what I wrote above. If the hook is out of sight down a perch's throat, please don't use a disgorger, however good the model is for other species.

If you can see the bend of the hook (as opposed to the shank) there shouldn't be a problem of course as the hook won't be in the throat of the perch. Then a disgorger or forceps are fine.

Steve read my reply as i did read what you said and highlighted it in my post.

Edited by kempo

my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Apologies, Kempo, I definitely jumped the gun there. Still it does help to reinforce the point.

Deep-hooking of perch is a sore point with me, as you've probably guessed!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Apologies, Kempo, I definitely jumped the gun there. Still it does help to reinforce the point.

Deep-hooking of perch is a sore point with me, as you've probably guessed!

no worries steve, they can be real hard to unhook as we well know m8.

IPB Image
IPB Image