spade hooks, eyed hooks

s_mac

Hi can someone tell me what the advantage or disadvatage is between spade hooks and eyed hooks. for light fising i just but the hooks to line. and where larger fish are about, i usually use eyed hooks and i can then choose my own breaking strain.

woman want me, fish fear me

IMO I belive that when using smaller hooks spade ends give a much better presentation, I tie my own using a hook tyer. I feel much more confident than pre tied as I am the one doing the "qaulity control" of the knots

The only time I used eyed hooks is when I fish a hair rig

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

OI OI,

RIGHT MAC IF YOUR STARTING FROM NEW I COULD SAY THAT THE EASIEST IS EYE'D HOOK'S BUT IF YOUR MORE EXSPERIANCED LIKE MOODY BOY SAID BUY A HOOK TYER WHITCH IS A B*****D BUT ONCE YOU GET OVER ABOUT FOUR HOOK'S YOU'LL HAVE IT, UNTILL YOUR AFTER BIGGER FISH JUST STICK TO SHOP BOUGHT ALREADY TIED, I HOPE THIS HELP'S IF NOT DONT WORRY COS IM CONNFUSED MY SELF NOW,

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Could'nt agree more Merlino, there is no way on the face on the planet that I could use a hook tyer without my old man actually showing me, the instructions that come with them may as well be written in martian for all the use that they are!!!!

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Flibb,its no good asking me mate as despite being able to tie spades down to 22's by hand Ive never learned to use a hook tyer!

Mainly because Ive mainly brought ready tied hook to nylons over the years and therefore only need to whipp a spade on if I loose one whilst fishing.the rod tip keeps the line under tension and makes it a dodlle.

Many use those "Matchmen Hook Tyers" (my brother Andrew is one) with no problem.I suppose its a case of getting someone to show you rather than trying to learn martian!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use the matchman hook tyer Budgie mentions and have done so for about 20 years or so.

Its fiddly at first but you will be tying neat spade ends (down to 26 or below, if you want), with a few hours practice.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I use the matchman hook tyer Budgie mentions and have done so for about 20 years or so.

Its fiddly at first but you will be tying neat spade ends (down to 26 or below, if you want), with a few hours practice.

when using matchman hook tyer do you whip from the top down or the bottom up, (not a lot of people know this) but you should always whip the hook from the top down (start at the spade and whip towards the gape).

i watched my friend billy Reynolds tie a spade hook by hand and he is faster than me with a tier, he ties 26 im1n's with no problem.

i wish i could do it but the hook tier is real easy once you get used to it.

as for eyed hooks they are fine for bigger fish (carp and barble) but having the eye in the hook adds extra metal and makes the hook heavier, thus impeding the natural presentation of the bait when fishing on the drop or off bottom for roach etc.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

i think the spade hooks are the way to go. i have the patients to tie hooks.. if its going to take me a couple of hours to learn to use a hook tier, i think i might give it a go learning to tie by hand first. i have time at work during the early part of the week. and it may come in handy on the bank side. the downfall bit is i dont know where to start tieing them, i mean how to tie them. has anyone got a good web site that has this info on tiening spade hooks. before i buy a tier.

thanks

s-mac

woman want me, fish fear me