Sport 2

Guest Jaybee

Guest Jaybee

Tis the season for a proper mans sport - Rugby :)

Local club rugby is ideal for photography.

The standard can be very high but in general the pace is a lot slower than top class teams so the pace of the photographer can be relaxing too. The biggest negative is that backgrounds are often pretty crap if the ground is in the local industrial estate or park.

Like show jumping there are those "moments" which can get you great shots. (Not the ones I attach - taken a couple of years back with my first Fuji S1 which was very limited and didnt shoot Raw.

Key moments to press the shutter - Top of the lineout when all motion virtually stops for a split second, Scrums and mauls where the players can pose for many seconds as they push and shove and tackles as they are happening (not when one guy is chasing down another), posed shots in as much as player (s) are stood still - eg the player preparing to kick the conversion.

Again like show jumping a lot of the action will be right under your nose.

Look to for the "cranky" shot - the player whose removed his gumshield to reveal blank spots where teeth used to be, torn shirts/shorts/exposed jock straps etc etc etc - you have over an hour of opportunity.

If you prefer to try your hand at that girly game called football then please go ahead :)

As an aside - cropping can make a good sports photograph into an excellent one so there is a very strong case for the use of the cropping tool in this current competition.

PS:- The guy in the blue shirt holding back the yellow army in shot number two is my second eldest son who played for the army and Hartlepool (voted player of the year two years ago - taking after his dad - in his prime of course :) )

sport7.jpg

sport8.jpg

sport9.jpg

Edited by Jaybee

Good stuff and great info jaybee.

I love the shots like the 2nd one where #10 appears to be an uninvolved spectator. You know it ain't so but the timing of the shot was just right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Finepix

You make a lot of sense Jaybee a lot of sense.

I'd best get myself down to the local club to watch 30 burly sweaty grunting muddy muscle bound beefcakes running up and down the rugby pitch - all in the name of the current challenge of course :whistling::P:lol:

;)

Guest Jaybee
I'd best get myself down to the local club to watch 30 burly sweaty grunting muddy muscle bound beefcakes running up and down the rugby pitch - all in the name of the current challenge of course :whistling::P:lol:

;)

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it :)

You poor thing Julia, can I come?

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!