Strange parasites

Fastd

Went out yesterday from Hartlepool and fished ledgered mackrel all day at anchor.

Almost without fail ever bait was eaten by something that had an eels body and the mouthparts of a lamprey, The ones that came aboard were about 20cms long and 1cm thick and a plain light brown body.

The baits were coming back with the skin in tact and the skeleton, even the ribs but every piece of flesh had been eaten a totally empty shell with head. This would happen to a whole mackrel in a matter of minutes so there must have been thousands of them down there.

Unfortunately we did not take a picture of the couple that came aboard wedge inside the baits ...wish I had now.

These things are a real pest and make being pestered by dogfish seem like a minor irritation. Lets hope this isn't an invasion of something unusual as they made the fishing almost impossible. Any suggestions as to what they may be and has anyone else come across them elsewhere

I have had a look on the aquarium site and can see nothing like them.

Cheers

dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Pipefish

Their numbers have exploded and there is concern that cod and seabirds etc are feeding on them now instead of sandeels, but they don't have the oil/nutrition that sandeels provide.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

leon,

definately not pipe fish. I have seen many of these in cod recently and they look more like a stretched seahorse.

These had the look and feel of an eel/elver including the full length dorsal fin and keel. But no definable mouth more of a sucker similar to a lamprey. Slippery and almost impossible to pick up just like an eel.

dave,

ps ...managed to read my emails but cant reply.

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hag fish?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Looking at images on wikipedia and reading your post seems to piont at Hag fish although I dont Know if they are an indignous speicies or not but the production of slime and thier eating habits sound almoust identical to the criters that you where plauged by.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Yep ...thats the critter.

Revolting things.

First time I have ever come across them.

Thanks for that...lets hope they dont get too common.

dave

That url gives a really amusing write up on the things. Amazingly enough, people actually eat them. :yucky:

Edited by seaside

Even more amusing is the fact the skipper told us quite categorically.

"I've dived this wreck and we are on good hard ground"

Its quoted as inhabiting mud and soft silt, something that was confirmed by the sludge we were getting on the hook lengths. Which could well explain the stuff coming up on our traces.

We trust the skippers word about where we are ...perhaps not all is what it seems sometimes.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org