mullet fishing (help)

honest it got off

ive noticed the fourums are pretty full of people who enjoy fishing for mullet .i for one have very little idea about the fish but have heard the are quite hard to catch could any body tell me what sort of tackle and bait i should use to catch them as the marina near me is packed full of huge mullet and id like to give it ago .im fairly new to fishing so if any who is willing to help give me guidence could you please in the most simple terms as i will get lost in the jargon thanks in advance

[ 21. June 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: honest it got off ]

hi honist,

I find mullet faily easy to catch although they can test my patience from time to time.

I will give you a brief of my takle and tactics.

From the begining the most important thing you will need to catch mullet is patience and lots of it.

I use a 2.5 test curve 12 foot carp rod, a decent fixed spool with a good clutch loaded with 6lb b/s line. I float fish for them normally using the lift bite method, although i do like floating crust to.

The lift bite method consists of a wagler float that will cock with just one BB shot(Iuse larger if its windy). The shot is placed 3 to 4 inches from the hook(any decent size 10 to 4 hook). I plumb the depth and fish tight to the botton. Bite will ither be sail aways or the float will come up and lay flat.

I dont use loads of bait as i normally fish marinas where the fish are used to seeing bread.

I start by just watching, then chose a spot where there are the most mullet. I gently crumble up one slice of bread and throw it in, most of the crumbled bread will sink but some will float. I reapeat this every 15 mins until i start getting bite the i repeat it every 5 mins.

Hitting the bites is somthing you just have to practice, I still miss most bites hooking about 1 in 10, often one in 20.

Stick with it and you will catch, evenings and early mornings can be best, and i find they like a little tide and tend not to feed over slack water even in marinas.

If you catch one handle with care as the flip about lots and are easily dropped. They tast like crap so are best fished for sport only.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam

2.5 test curve .. bit over rated, suggest a 1 or 1.25 test. I get a lot on my trusty 12' float rod rated for 2 to 4lb line ( though I use 5 or 6lb line ).

Andrew Boyd