patients miss 16 million appointments

hembo

just noticed this thread ...as i'm in the surgery just nipped and looked at the notice board last week 86 appointments missed our other surgery up the road 112.... lots of surgeries have policies of 3 strikes and you are out.

hi nursejudy.

can i just ask what your average waiting time is where you are.

woman want me, fish fear me

what do you mean for the gp's?

most can get an appointment same day or next day...would be better if patients cancelled if they dont need appointment.

our problem is beacause of high number of patients who have English as a second language interprepers are used or recepion staff(which means less people answering phone or on desk) as half of ours speak either Urdu/Punjabi or Arabic..working through an interpreter lakes longer.Also many have complex health problems that dont fit into a five min appointment or even a ten min double one,so often surgeries over run....then we often need to get in to see a gp so will nip in between patients which can add to waiting time.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

most can get an appointment same day or next day...would be better if patients cancelled if they dont need appointment.

our problem is beacause of high number of patients who have English as a second language interprepers are used or recepion staff(which means less people answering phone or on desk) as half of ours speak either Urdu/Punjabi or Arabic..working through an interpreter lakes longer.Also many have complex health problems that dont fit into a five min appointment or even a ten min double one,so often surgeries over run....then we often need to get in to see a gp so will nip in between patients which can add to waiting time.

i totaly agree, with all you have said. i know your over worked, under paid, over stressed. and do the hardest job in the world.

i am in retail, if someone does not like what i have they go next door. for you its diff. i guess they say i demand and its there right, or words to that affect. and everyhting is an emegency. they have to been seen NOW.

i have full admiration and support all you do. you are finest people in the world.

i was thinking from a government point of view

s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

Both surgeries have bi-lingual receptionists who are available as interpreters,then there is this service

http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/scais/index.php

the health visitors use these people ,I did some academic work last year and in-doing so found out that between both surgeries there were 80+different languages spoken,often patients arrive and the booked interpreters don't!!!!

we don't use the interpreters ...(no funding for them,might use the receptionists if desperate,often use a family member but that has its drawbacks) we seem to manage with sign language and pigeon english and a few odd words of Arabic/Urdu,I would love to learn Arabic,i got some audio tapes from the library last summer and kept trying them in the car...then practising on the patients!!!!

We are working on some pictorial cards to make life easier....

s_mac said i know your over worked, under paid, over stressed. and do the hardest job in the world.

over worked ...yes ...over stressed ...yes ...the rest no...

judy

nurse.gif

we never used to need appointments at our gp surgery ,you turned up at 8.30 and took a ticket ,worked a treat .

that changed when the government stipulated that patients must be seen in a certain time scale ,now you have to phone at 8.30 for an appointment which to the patient is far more difficult as the earlier you turned up the earlier you were seen ,now you have to redial a score or so times and may get an appointment 2 hrs later.

you cannot book in the morning for the afternoon surgery but must phone at 2pm ,no appointments taken at all for the next day/week or month ,you must phone on the day (in say 6 months time) which for the doctor is good (no missed apointments) but for the patient of elder years (or my mrs) forgotten about as soon as she leaves the room :(

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters its a nightmare if i need a gp appointment as you say ring at 8.30 ...fine except i am out doing insulin injections at that time .... and to try and get an appointment for a day off a week next tuesday is impossible my surgery is far worse than the 2 i work for!!!!!!

nurse.gif

dont need an appointment at my surgery just turn up when your ill down side is the gp is an arrogant arse but at least you get seen and treated quickly which i why i am loathe to change him

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com