The answer to cold wet feet ?

paignton bazza

Hi guys,

Having returned from my latest trip with cold wet feet and krinkly toes yet again, I guess the time has come to ask more experienced and sensible forummers what footwear they use.

To date during the summer I've just worn neoprene board shoes.

I think I need some form of extra long (possibly thigh or waist length) welly boots which exclude water when launching, and which are comfortable enough to wear all day, without being too clunky.

Dare I suggest, some form of wader ?

My better half suggested that I just tie some bin bags around my lower legs - she doesn't understand the need to look the part.

Your alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone tried the £30 nylon waders by Fladen ?

Thanks.

What I do, I wear a wet suit bottoms and neoprene boots as used in diving here's the clever part I made up a Velcro strap that wraps around the ankle pull it quite tight to make a seal once launched I undo them a bit ..........to keep the blood circulating :) .

For really cold weather a dry suit is the only way to go, I have not bought on as yet, but the ones that have say there very good ask the members.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi guys,

Having returned from my latest trip with cold wet feet and krinkly toes yet again, I guess the time has come to ask more experienced and sensible forummers what footwear they use.

To date during the summer I've just worn neoprene board shoes.

I think I need some form of extra long (possibly thigh or waist length) welly boots which exclude water when launching, and which are comfortable enough to wear all day, without being too clunky.

Dare I suggest, some form of wader ?

My better half suggested that I just tie some bin bags around my lower legs - she doesn't understand the need to look the part.

Your alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone tried the £30 nylon waders by Fladen ?

Hi,

All I wear is a pair of neoprean 6mm boots and an old pair of trainers that keep my feet nice and warm and when on the odd occasion they have got cold I just dip them in the water again, plus when you are launching or landing you do not have to worry about ripping or tearing the neoprean boots. I would suggest if your legs get cold a pair of dry trousers.

Hope this helps

ChrisW

Thanks.

have not had wet feet as I always wear a 3 layer breathable drysuit,if you're serious about the sport drysuit or cag & pants is the only way to go ---------Cold=Hypothermia :yeah:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Have used dry trousers and wet boots for ages, have been looking at the US they have a new boot by Henderson that says its like gortex for the wet boot, allows little water in but lets it dry. also Orca have a dry boot that says it pumps the water out as you walk. any one know of a UK distributor or will just have to get them in $ from the US.

Have used dry trousers and wet boots for ages, have been looking at the US they have a new boot by Henderson that says its like gortex for the wet boot, allows little water in but lets it dry. also Orca have a dry boot that says it pumps the water out as you walk. any one know of a UK distributor or will just have to get them in $ from the US.

they sound good ---let us know how you get on somerset in jersey :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph