Paravane

SeaDooDavid

Hi Yaksters

I have bought a paravane and used it last outing (Saturday last) I trolled a jellytail eel from it and caught both outgoing and cack from my mark, which is great but am I using it correctly (even though I caught!)

I used it as it is in the pic below, i.e. the snubby end (pointing to the left in the pic) went to my rod and the end with the louvre type vane (right in pic) I added a small leader of line, say 2 foot, and the eel!

Is this correct?. A link to somewhere that shows one of these rigged up woulb be lovely jubbly!!

Cheers oh font of all knowledge :notworthy:

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

Hi Yaksters

I have bought a paravane and used it last outing (Saturday last) I trolled a jellytail eel from it and caught both outgoing and cack from my mark, which is great but am I using it correctly (even though I caught!)

I used it as it is in the pic below, i.e. the snubby end (pointing to the left in the pic) went to my rod and the end with the louvre type vane (right in pic) I added a small leader of line, say 2 foot, and the eel!

Is this correct?. A link to somewhere that shows one of these rigged up woulb be lovely jubbly!!

seadoo are outing and cack new fish varieties that should be nitified to the natural history museum?

Hi Yaksters

SDD

youve got it rigged ok but i would use a longer leader to the jelly worm, maybe 8ft, where the reel line hooks onto the vane there is a row of holes, the hole nearest the vane will make it fish shallow and the furthest away will have it fishing at it's deepest but this is can also be controlled by how fast you paddle.

HTH Tom

ps: caught some cack the other day myself :yucky::D

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been paravaning - just use a bit of curved plastic which works really well, as soon as fish hits the vane flips over and the fish pops up simply made curved with a bit of heat - costs about £1.50

need a bit of speed though - agree about leeder - 6-8 feet

Thanks

Dave H

Owner of Prowler 15 - yellow - ex yakity yak uk

The best one I have ever used is called a Fish Seeker

i010628sq01.jpg

Dives to depth at about 2mph boat speed and depending on the combination of front/rear holes you use, will dive and hold from 5 feet to 80 feet.

About $6 from the US but probably available from a UK supplier. Each one has a card with complete directions including photos and specifics on leader length and the amount of mainline you need to have out.

The big advantage to me with using these is they work well with light rods and light lines.

UK paravane = US diving plane

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President