DL/UL speeds

Howard 13

ADSL will always give lower upload speeds, so if you are on ADSL I would suspect an error or miscalculation.

The BT engineer who came to my house yesterday reckons he checked out the 'green box' and the exchange, and all was well.

He was unaware of the speeds though.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
Don't wind me up. :) I'd love half that!

I've had a nightmare dealing with BT.

They told me that there were 32 'blockages' on the line.

How did you know where the problem was?

Because I'm an electrician by trade and know when I smell BS.

I asked them to do a physical check as opposed to line test.

Intermittant faults can be caused but wind and weather, physical tests will check for lose connections.

It will be down to BT but keep on at your ISP as they are the ones who make BT do the work.

No point in changing your ISP until the line is sorted as the fault will still be there.

I'm thinking you are a fair distance from you nearest telephone exchange?

You could ask BT to upgrade your line.

Not sure the correct terminology for that though.

Ask to speak to a BT engineer and they may be able to advise. <_<

my conection is 2mb cable modem telewest

Download speed: 1072 kilobits per second

Upload speed: 247 kilobits per second

dont know how good thease figures are done tests on pc pitstop

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

my conection is 2mb cable modem telewest

Download speed: 1072 kilobits per second

Upload speed: 247 kilobits per second

dont know how good thease figures are done tests on pc pitstop

pc pitstop is based in the USA so that ain't good for a speed test,

what i would do is go here ( http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks )and run the tweak test that will give you an idea so see if your receive window settings are OK, normal BB connection is pppoa if you get confused,

also i would recommend using the speed test on my sig, it is based in the UK,.

there is no way on earth that your upload will be bigger than your download there is a big problem there.

Downstream 1,852.8 Kbps ( = 1.8 Mbps )

Upstream 241.1 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )

Is that good or bad?

thats ok, upload a tad slow but i would try running the test late at night or early morning when the pipes are clear as you could be testing when your contention (not connection) is running at peak so that will show a slower connection.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The BT engineer came to the house and checked everything out today. Still having the same problem.

UL=325k

DL=125k

He was totally clueless. He was trying to tell me my DL speed was 1.25meg until I proved him wrong.

I was straight on the phone to tech help. I asked the question from the start "Why is the Upstream 3x faster than the downstream?" and had to endure 1 full hour on the phone, only to be told I was getting very low DL speeds.

This has been going on since June the 2nd.

Someone, somewhere must know the answer, please! - BT certainly don't.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedcha...662618458712190

That's the link to the results page I've just done.

He also tried saying that website was not very reliable. I then told him that is the same site BT tell you to do the test on when they do the test on the phone.

H.

The BT engineer came to the house and checked everything out today. Still having the same problem.

UL=325k

DL=125k

He was totally clueless. He was trying to tell me my DL speed was 1.25meg until I proved him wrong.

I was straight on the phone to tech help. I asked the question from the start "Why is the Upstream 3x faster than the downstream?" and had to endure 1 full hour on the phone, only to be told I was getting very low DL speeds.

This has been going on since June the 2nd.

Someone, somewhere must know the answer, please! - BT certainly don't.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedcha...662618458712190

That's the link to the results page I've just done.

He also tried saying that website was not very reliable. I then told him that is the same site BT tell you to do the test on when they do the test on the phone.

H.

that website is one of the biggest sites in the uk for adsl and internet related articles, he aint got a clue.

try posting your problems on that site in the bt forum as they have tech guys in there who are top knotch at that kind of thing.

BT forum here. good luck

that website is one of the biggest sites in the uk for adsl and internet related articles, he aint got a clue.

try posting your problems on that site in the bt forum as they have tech guys in there who are top knotch at that kind of thing.

BT forum here. good luck

also tell them that if they dont sort it out soon then you will have to migrate to a different isp if they cant sort out the problem.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Guest Ferret1959
also tell them that if they dont sort it out soon then you will have to migrate to a different isp if they cant sort out the problem.

Even if you migrate and it's a line fault you will still have the same problem.

I was screeming blue murder at my ISP and all along it was a BT line fault.

Mind you trying to tell an 'ethnic' operator out in India the problem was mind blowing.

Oh and the only times I could talk to my ISP was late at night or at least a hour or so wait, therefore the 'ethnic'. :(