Isotopes

Quest

What is the brightest colour to use.

Thanks

Quest

They look white (but are actually green I think) but brightest is not necessarily best.

I use red ones on a quiver tip because they don't start dancing around unaided in front of your eyes after half an hour.

There is a long and complicated technical medical explanation about how our eyes see things in the dark which explains it all, but it's so complicated I can't remember it all. :headhurt:

but if its whats the best colour to use,well thats down to personal choice

i've just shrinkwrapped a solor green isotope to the tip of one rod and i'm going to shrinkwrap solor blue isotope to another to help identify them in the dark.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

ive used them recently, and they seem to make my eyes go funny too. keep asking yourself if its slowly moving or not.

what you need is two on each rod, about 2 inches apart to line up with each other.

ideally, i think the best thing would be a 10 inch thin flexible isotope, that glues to the back of the quiver tip, so you can see it bend just like an ordinary quiver, but thats just an idea, not reality, at least i think!

thats how shrinkwrapping works,you shrink wrap a isotope parallel onto the back of the tip,if your using a avon tip it would be a idea to paint a white patch around where the isotope is going to increase visibility !

i tried to use ptfe "plummers tape" as a alternative but it melted :wallbash: .

105096.jpg

(its based on a idea by dave lumb)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Chav, you intrigue me mate, how did the ptfe tape melt ?

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Using reflective tape round the tip with a well placed torch and a target board, is a very good way of doing things.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

to do this you need some clear shrink tubing (6.4mm) about 4" and two sections of black or green ( to match blank colour ) shrink tubing (4.5mm) about 2" each.a heat source boiling water,hot air gun ect and a isotope,optional white painted section of tip (or white tape) must be longer than the isotope !.remember that shrink tubing shrinks in length & width ( origanal tip by dave lumb was on BFW )

heat up tip ring and remove ! (not always necessary depending on tip !)

slide a black section of tubbing down the tip leave loose

pop your isotope inside the clear tubing and rotate tip to wanted position

(over white painted (tape) area) at reverse side to the eyes

heat up the clear tubing and as it shrinks (grips isotope) start to rotate to get even shrinkage.then let it cool locking the isotope in desired place

slide up bottom black tubing and heat and rotate to shrink in place (seals end off clear tubing and neatens the apperance)

slide on the othar black section of tubing and repete as above ( this can be made long enough to partially cover the tip once its be refixed (glued) to the tip)

iso.jpg

(dave lumbs rod tip with white painted tip section)

shrink tubing of the required sizes is available off e-bay in 1m lengths or from RS componants,maplins{mondo} or this online store

( i melted the tape in the heating process using a naked flame :wallbash: i may re_do it later and paint it this time )

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Thanks for your reply :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic