length

kozak0085

hey I was just wondering how long on average the carp are you guys and girls catch over there. And what's the biggest you've ever seen or caught.

Yesterday I landed a 32" that we figured to be somewhere near 20lbs. I think it's pretty good for my second carp ever =)

hey I was just wondering how long on average the carp are you guys and girls catch over there. And what's the biggest you've ever seen or caught.

Yesterday I landed a 32" that we figured to be somewhere near 20lbs. I think it's pretty good for my second carp ever =)

I had a 22lber with a length of 29 inch and a 21lb 6ox approx 28 inch the other night.

Length can give an approx weight but then then is width, girth, belly etc to consider.

The two I had were a wild/common strain with more wild than common.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

The standard 'fish weighing scale' certainly would damage the carp's mouth and there is no reason to do that.

Make a sling of some sort (heavy cloth square with plastic lining is good) and some sort of handle to allow hanging it on the scale and you can weigh the fish without damaging it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

went back today and got a 31" :yeah:

still no official weight tho, im scared i might hurt them with the hook from the scale lol

31carp.jpg

Sorry this has gotta be said.........

I really don't like to see photos like this published on here, cannot abide seeing such lovely fish treated so badly. Got out an buy y'self an unhooking mat buddy, then you can caress you ego with the camera to your hearts content.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

LOL - I figured that such a remark might be made but didn't think it would be phrased so rudely or using such really horrible grammar.

So you'd like him to rush right out to buy a device he will never have heard of and that would only available to him as a rather expensive import so that you won't be offended?

If your aim here was to help him to protect future catches by using a mat you are certainly old enough to know that explaining what one is and why it is easier on the fish would be more likely to have a good effect. That makes me wonder exactly what you were trying to do.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

LOL - I figured that such a remark might be made but didn't think it would be phrased so rudely or using such really horrible grammar.

So you'd like him to rush right out to buy a device he will never have heard of and that would only available to him as a rather expensive import so that you won't be offended?

If your aim here was to help him to protect future catches by using a mat you are certainly old enough to know that explaining what one is and why it is easier on the fish would be more likely to have a good effect. That makes me wonder exactly what you were trying to do.

If you consider my previous post as "rude" and to contain "really horrible grammar" that's your perogative, you have and are entitled to your opinion. For my part, I care not in which part of the world this guy resides and does his angling and care not that he may have to spend money on "expensive imports" to offer adequate protection to such a beautiful creature. Ignorance and expense cannot be used as an excuse. Whilst I agree, in hindsight that education may have been a better line of approach for me to adopt, my initial post relays the anger I felt after first viewing that picture. Whichever stance is "politically correct" I know not but I will NEVER condone anyone, in any part of the world treating carp in this manner just to satify their own ego's. If the fish is to be used as a necessary food source then that's a whole diferent "ball-game" but even so it's treatment should still be humane. Pictures such as this are like "gold dust" to the anti-angling brigade and to be frank, I'm absolutely amazed this web-site allowed it to be published. In my opinion the moderators should have removed the image prior to allowing the post to proceed as it was not imperative to the textual content.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

hey um

it's a fish man, and it's not like i stepped on it or impaled it with some object, it laid on land for 3 seconds as i snapped the pic and measured it, i put it right back in the water and it didnt float, it swam off like nothing happened, i didnt even have to do the recouperation method because it took off so fast. I've been fishing all my life and sure carp fishing is new to me but it's not what i usually do, im a bass fisher and know how to not kill a fish or harm it in some way that it wont be able to recover.

sheesh, people these days

Well done Polly,if you had been a bit more diplomatic we might have been able to convert another angler in obviously another country to use an unhooking mat.Leaping in straight at him all you have done is alienate him to any sugestions we might make re fish care (well fish care our way any way)

Got to remember that different countries have different cultures.In the country hes from (where is that by the way Kozak,if you dont mind me asking?) it may be normal to eat or even just kill carp! I think he has allready shown he is interested in fish welfare by mentioning that he hasnt weighed any yet due to his concern about harming them,dont you?

As for showing such pictures on here may I ask what you would prefer,that we simply ignore such things by not showing pictures like this or try and encourage (by education) better fish handling?

Youre not an idiot Polly,most of the posts of yours Ive read have been sensible and well informed.Maybe this time your gut reaction just got the better of you? I would like to think so any way.We all some times press that "Add Reply" button a bit quick at times,I certainly do!

Kozak please stick with us and Im sure we can learn from each other.As for weighing your fish try getting hold of a strong plastic bag to wet slightly and put your fish in,you can then hook the scales through the bags handle.

Laying carp on the ground (especially rough or stoney ground) has become frowned on in the UK in the last 20 years or so.We tend to use "un hooking mats" these are simply soft,padded mats that we can dampen and lay the fish on.This ensures that they have a bit of protection if they thrash about a bit! We have to look after our carp so much more carefully as they tend to be caught many times over.It seems only right that we try our best to return them for other anglers in as similar condition to what we caught them our selves.If you want to give it a go dont bother trying to buy one just get a bit of old foam rubber and slip a plastic bin liner over it! will do the job all right.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

yah budgie i obviously care about fish, i never eat fish or keep any of the ones i catch

i'm from the US by the way and I'm mostly a bass angler, the bass fishing in my town has become terrible however so I have taken up catching caro for the time being. I do not eat them but simply catch and release.

and of course I wouldnt put a carp or anyother fish on stoney or rocky ground, to me that's disrespecting the fish and the lord that gave us the fish, as you can see in the pic the fish is on a wet muddy surface, not on the board that I'm on and not on some dry land. I respect all the fish that I catch and I'm grateful for every time i get to fight a fish and marvel at it's beauty.

I thank you for the tip however and from now on i'll carry a plastic bag that i can lay down and dampen and place the fish on to unhook. I'm not really into buying a bunch of carp gear if I'm going to be fishing for them for a few weeks out of the year.

(i dont know if this is looked down upon also but) the carp that i've pulled in dont usually thrash around because I fight them and let them tire themselves out quite a bit. Once they're in I unhook and snap a pic and set them free all within a minute and a half, and all the carp I've caught have swam away with the great strength

thanks tho