Prowler Elite 4.5 set screw

sandgrownen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the nice people at Johnson Outdoors and ask them to send you some of the appropriate screws.

I asked them for some screws a while ago (for my P13) and they sent screws, padeyes and bungee buttons....all FOC (although I offered to pay).

I'm about to do exactly the same - I have the bits for the trolley to fit this weekend but I'm waiting on price and delivery for the OK rudder kit - what rudder system are you planning to use?

Hopefully as it's a NZ boat the threads should all be Metric

if they are the same as the NZ p13's I think they were 5mm metric :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I'm a bit of a DIY buff I've made a trolley, leg straps, and a butyl drum skin hatch cover and I am going to try to make a rudder.

For the anchor trolley I am going to copy the one on anglers afloat. http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Prowler_AnchorTrolley.htm

I will contact Johnsons to see if I can get some screws thanks for your help.

I've had the kayak out a few times now but no fish yet. Even after draging a lip hooked sand eel around Abersock bay for 3 hours.

I've had great fun, I've even seen a seal 150 yards off Blackpool and I would never thought I'd have seen that in my life before getting the kayak.

Thanks again for the help

Chris

Ah - the wonderful world of DIY. I too am copying the anglersafloat anchor trolley. I did think of having a go at the rudder system myself but then I figured I'd get drawn into spending more time tinkering than paddling or fishing. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

on the subject of stuff for kayaks - what are your DIY thoughts on this thing

http://www.anglersyakshack.com/

I'm sure Simon E would approve of maintaining a low Centre of Gravity, and a baitwell pretty much on the waterline has got to be a good thing, I'm just not too keen on those thru hull fittings - all it would take is one dodgy launch over the rocks to knock that pump off and then your C of G will get really low.

I have a couple of ideas which I may get round to trying over the winter but always open to better ones from other people.

Ah - the wonderful world of DIY. I too am copying the anglersafloat anchor trolley. I did think of having a go at the rudder system myself but then I figured I'd get drawn into spending more time tinkering than paddling or fishing. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

I'm sure Simon E would approve of maintaining a low Centre of Gravity, and a baitwell pretty much on the waterline has got to be a good thing, I'm just not too keen on those thru hull fittings - all it would take is one dodgy launch over the rocks to knock that pump off and then your C of G will get really low.

I have a couple of ideas which I may get round to trying over the winter but always open to better ones from other people.

Hi NMT, hope your enjoying the hobby, that wasnt you that went missing for 58 hours was it?? ;)

Well my opinion only, the idea of putting water into a kayak when you do your best to keep the stuff out just doesnt make sense to me, but hey looks like a decent piece of kit none the less.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sonner NoMore I've been pushed for time.

On the set screws, I hand to ring johnson about a malabu 2 XL I had order which seemed to not have been order. Ended up with a blue & white instead of the sunburst. I asked them if they could supply the set screws but just got a short 'Please contact the dealer you bought it from' answer. I found a web site that has them but I would have to buy 200 for around £10 I only want about 20. http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/naviga...arch=Show+Items. Have you had any better luck?

On the bait tank I think this is taking things a bit far unless you live right on the water you would spend most of your time setting up and packing away. I'm tempted to get / make all of the goodies but I am aware that they only increase the setting up time.

Does anyone know the longest time for a rookie to catch his first fish on a new yak. I think I may have the record.

I'm thinking of nameing my 4.5 'Fishless'.

I tried it on Ullswater recently just to try drifting with the trout rod. I must say It was great, i found I could set the Yak at the angle I wanted so that I drifted parallel to the shore but no fish.

I live at Blackpool and when off shore it is like being in the sahara desert there is no cliffs rocks just sea and sea wall so fish finder will be next purchase. Have you fitted yours yet?

/

Did you get your anchor trolley fittted? If so what did you use to bridge the 2 screw holes?

If your interested in a sail I found these instructions on making one, seems pretty simple. Also an on-line kite materials site to get the materials from.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grantglazer...k/Hintssail.htm

http://www.freespiritkites.co.uk/

I made some leg straps, they worked out OK

hope info is of help

Cheers

Chris

Ah yes - the anchor trolley got ovetaken by car problems (ultimately solved by scrapping one and swapping the other for one that works), then duties as taxi driver for the kids. Maybe this weekend, unless I am forced to finish the girlfriend's bathroom tiling. (DIY skills are a curse as well as a blessing). One thing we do have over here are a lot of engineering suppliers so machine screws in marine grade stainless steel or brass are readily available, unlike such useful items as a folding anchor. When you get up to 15 posts pm me with sizes you want and an address and I'll pop them in the mail for you. My Yak lives by the sea so it stays rigged all the time.

bit surprised by the response from Johnson - Andrew, who does read this forum, was very helpful when I e-mailed him.

As a result of my reduced finances brought about by the car "issues" I have taken another look at the rudder solution

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/kayakrudder.htm#superkit seems to provide a solution for the rudder shape. Just got to work on controls now.

I had thought about a sail. I'm going to stick an optimist rig in the transducer scupper hole and see what happens. (worth videoing for you've been framed). I will need some leeboards for upwind as well but haven't thought of an elegant solution for these yet.

Fishfinder - getting an eagle Cuda - relatively cheap and claims to be waterproof. I'm sure the transducer can be made to fit the elite.

photo's to follow soon.

If your not going for a Humminbird fishfinder I'd check the dimensions of the transducer and cable first so see if it can be fitted to the Elite. A member here (sorry name escapes me) had to sell their Garmin finder either the cable wouldn't fit through the hole for the transducer or the transducer was the wrong size.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow