Trotting rod recommendations

Aaron1976

The advantage of a longer rod is that it makes it easier when trotting further out to keep the line behind the float and lift it off the surface to correct it when it comes round the side. With a 13ft you will much more quickly end up back at the bank as the wind and current acting on the floating line tends to glide it in. This effects presentation so much you will seriously reduce your catch rate and probably give up in frustration.

Casting and rod weight is a real issue with longer rods so take care in your choice. This is my main grief with the Bj float. Sometimes when choosing you are better taking your reel with you, especially if you use a pin, to check the rod reel weight balance. Remember you will be holding it all day and often extended out from your body to improve line control.

Also check the eyes spacing. Rods designed for trotting do not have equally spaced eyes as they get closer together much more than puddle chuckers towards the tip. This stops line sagging between eyes and allows for smoother line removal from the reel.

Most modern rods are designed for waggler fishing on ponds and this is why i would recommend the greys trotting rods.

Try to get the Greys Bewick 13/15ft float. rrp £129

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic