Trotting rod recommendations

Aaron1976

Hi,

I'm currently fishing the Blackwater river in Hampshire and having lots of fun catching chub, but I'd be interested to hear what you would recommend as a good trotting/river float rod.

I currently use a 13ft Drennan float rod (DRX model), I've found this to be nice and light, it performs really well, however I do know that both Daiwa and Drennan released a 'stickfloat' rod some time ago (which I think are both discontinued).

What do you currently use, or would recommend to somebody thinking of getting another float rod? The only other rod I have at hand is a Drennan Puddle Chucker - not tried it yet but it looks alright.

Regards

Aaron

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been looking for a similar rod myself,something a little longer than the rod i`m using now.(13` diawa) the 13 to 14` Normark range have caught my eye just not sure which model to get.I think from heaviest to lightest they are Avenger,Titan and Microlite.

Anyone using these rods a honest opinion would be helpfull.I know the RRP is £399 but ive seen them for little over £200

DS

I'd highly recommend this...

http://tinyurl.com/zntwy

OOps - doesn't seem towork atm - anyways it was a link to an old review of the Harrison Gti Float rod. I've used one for around 7 years - wouldn't be without it (I got the hollow tipped version!)

C.

ps link is working now!

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

West Midland Angling Centre are knocking out the Normark Titan II @ £199 it's simply the best all round float rod you can buy.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Been looking for a similar rod myself,something a little longer than the rod i`m using now.(13` diawa) the 13 to 14` Normark range have caught my eye just not sure which model to get.I think from heaviest to lightest they are Avenger,Titan and Microlite.

Anyone using these rods a honest opinion would be helpfull.I know the RRP is £399 but ive seen them for little over £200

DS

I use a Drennan series 7 float rod and a Normark Microlite for trotting. The Normark Microlite is the lightest in the Normark range and excellent to hold all day when you're trotting a float down a river but saying that the Drennan is a corker and for the difference in price I would opt for the Drennan.

I have always fished with a 13ft float rod, or even a 12ft avon rod on the river, and yet I read time and time again about the need for 15ft or even 17ft rods.

Can someone outline the benefitsof a longer rod - I often struggle with trees and undergrowth with a 12ft rod how on earth do you manage with something the length of a margin pole?

I have seen long rods being used on bigger rivers, from what I could see the length allows you to trot and stay in control further out and have your set up deeper than with a 12 or 13 foot rod.

I imagine you would get better pick up on bites as well because it would be easier to avoid line bow etc.

I think "canal" rods are even longer, although that may be my imagination!!! Is there such a thing?

Edited by Moodyboy

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes