Go east for cod?

Guest challenge

Guest challenge

Stavey.

Your concept of how anglers fish, be it there methods or attitude to angling from Whitby is as you say still in the 70’s.

If you think that anglers today still use short stumped rods with big centre pin reels then your perception is about as accurate as your presumptions on our attitude to our job.

When we work eastley (100 miles plus from Whitby) we are often fishing in no more than 15 to 20 meters of water. Sometimes we are fishing in less than this. Considering our boat is longer than the depth of water we often work in I can hardly see that as a long haul up for the fish and anglers. Can you?

We have anglers who bring there landing nets with them and practise catch and release, not many I must say, but we do have some who do.

I am sure they would not bother if we worked the depths that you seam to surmise that we always work.

If you think that we are painting a bad picture of what RSA should be like then what brush would you like us to use?

Fortunately for us and the thousands of anglers who come with us year in and year out we do make a living stavey, fortunately for the anglers that want to experience what we offer because there is no one else that does what we do. If it’s not your cup of tea stavey then that is fine with me. But first of all if I was you I would taste before you discredit.

Glen.

I cannot understand where the fishermen get there findings from because there are none working there? At least we never see any. The odd beam trawler and Danes working turbot nets. There are a couple of gill netters left but they (when not on oil guard duty) are working further still to the east of where we work and then in winter time they tended to work further to the southeast and up into the channel.

We have certainly had one of the best summers (with this boat) than we have had.

As I said before the further eastley we have been the better the fishing. Better, bigger fish.

Am not sure how many fish (cod) we have had (Michele could tell you) well over twenty pounds but it’s the best year and class of fish.

Fortunately the season is not over yet (so if we get the weather) we are hoping to get across and see if we can get a few more 30 pound plus cod.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paulcod.jpg

All of these fish we caught on a 10 hr trip approx 10 miles from whitby harbour are between 5 -10lb with odd 13 or 14lb fish all these fish were taken off a piece of rough ground not a wreck and not one piece of tackle was lost in the process of filling every box on the boat these are not tidd codlings .

There is still some excellent cod fishing with 20 miles of whitby but the trick is to be in the right place if you are in ther wrong place your catch rate can be poor but lets forget the britsh cod record was caught inside of 30 miles from the coast but a lot of anglers dont know that, this summer was excellent for cod fishing i personnally had some very very good catches on my vessel but i cant speak for every body but there is a very large influx of small codling appearing along the east coast and lets hope they get the chance to grow small codling grow very fast as they are eating machings so propects look good for everybody.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

big cod.

Totally agree big cod. You do have good days inside. Darlick has good days fishing under the cliff.

What I am saying is that the further east we have fished this year the better the fishing. That doesn’t mean that there is not a good days fishing to be had inside.

The difference with us is. (And that’s why I believe we get so many clients returning) that when we have a good day there is no comparison to be had inside.

That’s all it boils down to. We where working ground at the North West rough yesterday. As many codlings as you wanted. Steamed away from it as there was not a sign that you where going to get a fish into the upper teens.

You certainly do have good days inside; we have had them as well. But what we know that we will not get inside (and our anglers know too) is 100 stone wrecks without keeping a fish under double numbers. It’s a wreck with 8 fish (cod) over twenty pounds on. It, working a sub sea well head and taking, 150 stone of it in three hours. It’s a trip where you get a 30lb cod followed by a 33lb cod in the same trip. We know we will never get that inside of ten miles and our anglers know, we won’t neither.

The figures I quote above where of days fishing in the last three months.

We have had many two hundred stone trips and many 300 stone trips this summer.

Our chiller holds about 150 stone of fish fillets. I have not filled it yet but have only been a couple of boxes short.

That’s the sort of fishing I mean when I say we have fished better the further east we have been.

I personally love fishing over ground.

Fishing on ground is great big cod if you don’t want to loose gear. I have yet to meet an angler who has moaned about loosing gear when he has caught plenty of fish.

I caught my biggest ever cod within 3 miles of Whitby. But that like the British cod record was a long long time ago.

Personally give me an afternoon fishing sat with darlick and nipper in the shade of ness end. You can keep the rest of the North Sea for me.

Guest challenge
If a man walks of my boat with 8 stone of codlings on a 10 hr trip which has happened on numerous occasions this year is that not enough fish for him as far as i am concered its well enough.

To true big cod. And if you do get disgruntled customers that want more and bigger fish then you just send them to us with a wad of money and we will oblige.

Guest challenge
having a day off neandarthal man ?

I do recognise that the art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity nipper, but you have got me with this one?

Stavey.

Your concept of how anglers fish, be it there methods or attitude to angling from Whitby is as you say still in the 70’s.

If you think that anglers today still use short stumped rods with big centre pin reels then your perception is about as accurate as your presumptions on our attitude to our job.

When we work eastley (100 miles plus from Whitby) we are often fishing in no more than 15 to 20 meters of water. Sometimes we are fishing in less than this. Considering our boat is longer than the depth of water we often work in I can hardly see that as a long haul up for the fish and anglers. Can you?

We have anglers who bring there landing nets with them and practise catch and release, not many I must say, but we do have some who do.

I am sure they would not bother if we worked the depths that you seam to surmise that we always work.

If you think that we are painting a bad picture of what RSA should be like then what brush would you like us to use?

Fortunately for us and the thousands of anglers who come with us year in and year out we do make a living stavey, fortunately for the anglers that want to experience what we offer because there is no one else that does what we do. If it’s not your cup of tea stavey then that is fine with me. But first of all if I was you I would taste before you discredit.

Hi challenge

Hey you may well be right about my presumptions and what i think about your fishing/business from and around whitby, thanks for the invitation but like i said it is not my cup of tea anymore and has not been for a very long time.

As far as the rsa's image towards conservation is concerned? well what i would suggest would mean financial suicide for you im sure as your pure existance is determined on how many stones of cod that your costumers can catch and kill! like imposing bag limits, er no not a good idea i hear you think, thats ok like i said we done exactly the same down here, and if the cod ever rejuvinated back on the wrecks here a lot of new part time charterers would spring up everywhere again to get in on the action for short term financial gains( just like the commercials realy) although big cod seems to do ok from the inside it would not do you any favours if all of a sudden 20's and 30's were to turn up all the time inshore if the fishing did become that good again i suppose?

Anyway i will leave you boys alone up on the north east coast to carry on waxing lyrical about how good the cod fishing is these days, cod in all sense and purposes are a distant memory for us and the future down here is bass and mullet and decent conservation measures to maybe help to keep a decent stock of these and maybe even increase them? i get the feeling it is the opposite up there maybe i am wrong? cheers.......................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly