Herring Spawn fishery gets underway off the north east coast.

glennk

Hi glen

Is it that time of year already? will this mean a return to the forum from binatone and he's crazy avatars?

Thoes eyes are never far away they will always be watching us. When the wind starts blowing and the boredom kicks in the fingers will once again start to dance the keyboard dance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stavey raised the subject of Binatone and I responded to him, at which point you seem to have felt obliged to butt in :blink: . If you have issues with that then please do PM me about them.

I'd be delighted to debate the "cod fishery" if you could tell me just exactly what we are debating?

Okay, you saw "them" from the cliff, and given the cefas reports its reasonable to assume they are likely to include your local trawlers ( your opinion of whom is of course impartial ? ) . They were too far off for you to see who they were or what exactlly they where doing; fair enough ; How do we find out?

FWIW the codling sizes being taken in those surveys are horrific . Just MO.

Your a wind up merchant Chris. Drop it or butt out.

There has been a lot of news reports on local TV re our froggy neighbours off Brid.

BBC Video Link at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_ne...storyid=5360840

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

There has been a lot of news reports on local TV re our froggy neighbours off Brid. Good to know the navy has finally been deployed to keep an eye on things ,about time too.

There has however been no mention of what fishery the french are working . It must be a profitable one for them to come so far as I presume they land back home where they can get away with what they like on quota/size ect.

If there is good fishing out there it is a shame our lads cannot work it. Does anyone know?

Hello Clem,

The French boats are working on whiting, of which they have a large quota.

Glen is worried about the local trawlers discards while useing 120 mm cod ends, I suggest he looks into what these boats useing 80 mm codends might discard, The French are not short on cod quota either.

If the boot was on the other foot there would be a war, I have known French static gear men bring a beam trawler to a halt by throwing rope and bits of net into the boats propeller, then prosseded to smash the boat up, the beamer crew were lucky to escape with their lives and that was on suspition that they had towed through some static nets, they just happened to be fishing near by.

I fish to live and live to fish.

A few of the Scottish pair teams are here now and catches are said to be massive. If the catches are as big as suggested then quota must be at a premium right now - Man United will be able to buy a couple more Rooney's in the coming months.

Hello Glen

There is no shortage of quota for the few fat cats that can afford it.

Guest challenge

If there using 120m cod ends to target cod they will be able to catch as much as they want regardless of quota. it will be there days at sea that will stop them.

If there using 120m cod ends to target cod they will be able to catch as much as they want regardless of quota. it will be there days at sea that will stop them.

Hello Challenge

I think they can lease or buy them as well.

You mean they dont need quota ? A free for all then. Catch as much as you can while you can, dump half back dead and everything is rosie.

Edited by glennk