Herring Spawn fishery gets underway off the north east coast.

glennk

I saw them tonight from the cliff top at Cloughton near Scarborough. The area is full of boats fishing the herring spawn fishery which kicked off earlier this week. I have nothing wrong with them catching fish after all its legal and within quota but when you think 50 percent is undersized codling and haddock and its going back dead it makes your blood boil. The cod nursery beds of the area are taking a hammering yet again - when will the needless slaughter of undersized codling stop ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them tonight from the cliff top at Cloughton near Scarborough. The area is full of boats fishing the herring spawn fishery which kicked off earlier this week. I have nothing wrong with them catching fish after all its legal and within quota but when you think 50 percent is undersized codling and haddock and its going back dead it makes your blood boil. The cod nursery beds of the area are taking a hammering yet again - when will the needless slaughter of undersized codling stop ?

Hi glen

Is it that time of year already? will this mean a return to the forum from binatone and he's crazy avatars?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Local boats Glenn?

Couldnt see from where I was Chris. They were about a mile and a half to sea just north of Scarborough. I had heared that the French have been in the area a lot of late. As I say I have no problem with them catching the fish, its all legal and above board. Its just the bloody waste thats so annoying.

Stavey ?

binatone.gif

Edited by glennk

I've seen the FN stuff about French trawlers draging away the Bridlington (?) guys gear; are they off your coast a lot now? does anyone board them and check them out?

I guess their won't be many Scots boats down this time. Who knows next year.

btw I'd like to see Binatone back Stavey; whoever he was or was'nt he had something to say :D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I cant believe either of you really think he left - your pulling my leg right ?

Nope. I have seen so many posts about who is or isn't such and such a person that i really don'y care either way. IMHO Binatone posted interesting stuff and i'll take what "he" says at face value whoever he may or may not be.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I know its bad crack mate but whats the answer :(

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hello Glen

Are you sure of your facts or are you assumeing there are 50% discards of coddling and haddock?

have you seen them with your own eyes?

I fish to live and live to fish.