Wire stem stick floats.

lutra

I know tiddler catching isn't for some anglers like Tigger, they've told me so. May be I'm just a little different and don't need to be looking for lumps all the time and can be happy just catching a bag of bits.

I'd rather catch tiddlers than blank Brian, but as you know I do like something that pulls back enough to bend the rod over now and again. I have actually targeted dace on the odd occassion and if the rivers low and slower I just scaled down the float a little...same style of float but smaller and the dace pulled it under easy enough :). If the fish seem to be slow in obliging I put on a low diameter bottom and a smaller hook and it often does the trick.

I have noticed you've get a liking for going as light as possible since we first met Brian, I suppose it does make it a bit more interesting when winding in dace and other smaller species. You need a normark microlite now to complete the light set up and make catching the dace even better ;) .

Pity as I had a mint 2000 microlite for several years but I let it go, if i'd thought on i'd have let you have it :mellow: .

When wire stems came out I switched over from cane, cane lying flat, when held back. These days I am an advocate of Middy, or Woody Ali stems in all sizes. They trot and hold back well and give great bite indication. On the Kennet I tend to use a shouldered balsa stick, but for the Thames, Colne and Blackwater it's an Ali stick. I've even started using a Middy 3 No. 4 trotting down the inside with bread punch for roach on the Wey Nav.

My New Year outing on the Woody Stick http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/chub-and-roach-on-bread-flake-welcome-the-new-year/

I'd rather catch tiddlers than blank Brian, but as you know I do like something that pulls back enough to bend the rod over now and again. I have actually targeted dace on the odd occassion and if the rivers low and slower I just scaled down the float a little...same style of float but smaller and the dace pulled it under easy enough :). If the fish seem to be slow in obliging I put on a low diameter bottom and a smaller hook and it often does the trick.

I have noticed you've get a liking for going as light as possible since we first met Brian, I suppose it does make it a bit more interesting when winding in dace and other smaller species. You need a normark microlite now to complete the light set up and make catching the dace even better ;) .

Pity as I had a mint 2000 microlite for several years but I let it go, if i'd thought on i'd have let you have it :mellow: .

I know your tricks, you just want me to buy more and more rods so you can justify your own tackle buying obsession. Well anyway I fancy a longer rod first and keep looking at them Tricast John Allerton's.

I see that Mr Robbins has been helping himself to our roach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi-4za4dN10

It's like a mill pond under your nose there and he's still uses a wire stem. The worlds gone wire stem mad. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think we've all got a buying obsession when it comes to fishing or any other hobbies Brian....look at you now, on the look out for yet another rod :), a longer rod and a expensive one n'all lol.

What length are you thinkin' of ? I thought you where happy with the 14fters you've got ?

I've never seen the Tricast Allerton rods in the flesh but the first thing that hits me in the pictures of them is the reel seat fittings. Their reel holders are screw up holders which means your hand is holding all the rough bits. I can't weigh up why they use a reel seat like that on a rod you'll be holding for the majority of the time, it can't be comfy....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tri-cast-john-allerton-premier-match-rod-17ft-/131403048002?pt=UK_BOI_Packing_Postal_Supplies_Labels_LE&var=&hash=item1e983b6442

You know I wouldn't go longer than 14ft but if I did I think i'd go and have a nosey at the 15ft Acolyte since they're so light. I have the 14ft version and although i'd prefer several other of my rods I can't think of any better in their price range on the shelves at the moment, maybe someone else has some ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of something longer than that Ian. Maybe 17-18ft ish. Can't really say reel fittings bother me that much so long as the reel don't drop off. The most uncomfy thing to hold on to this time of year is a freezing cold pin, but it don't stop me using one.

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep