Fishing hooks

s_mac

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit puzzled as well. This is what is usually called a split ring

splitring.jpg

You don't have to close them up, they spring shut on their own.

I sometimes use a chain of two or three before the hook on lures like Tobies because (I think) it helps if the fish are striking short.

P.S. if thats a split ring - why do you need pliers?

You don't if you are only opening one now and again, but if you were a professional jeweller or the like opening them all day I suppose you'd want anything that made the job quicker and easier. It can take me two minutes just to add a key to my keyring!

:lol: Dont worry mate weve all been there! 30 seconds in the flesh and you (in fact we) would have got it sussed.Definately get proper split rings (what you call "Key rings") as these are much stronger/safer for mounting hooks. They come in different sizes.To a certain extent the size of both lure and hook dictates what size you use but in general Ive found 8mm or 10mm covers most situations.Mustad ones are fine.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!