Fishing hooks

s_mac

Just been reading another topic, on fish deep throating, and i was wondering how long you use the same hook for.

is it one session

two sessions or more.

we all change our hooks through fishing sessions when need be. do you save all your hooks, or discard that hook later at home and use new hooks.

i would be grateful for your replies.

Smac

woman want me, fish fear me

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never throw hooks away. If the get blunted they can be sharpened on a stone.

Like most anglers I lose a few.

The last time I bought hooks was about 3 years ago. I bought 10 size 10 and 10 size 8 Drennan barbless. I have seven size 10 still in the packet and 2 size 8s. I also have 4 made up rigs in my bag. 3 have size 8s and one is a size 10,

That means in three seasons I have lost 2 size 10s and 5 size 8s. This makes sense as I use 8s much more often than 10s.

Mullet fishing need not be expensive. All you need is a rod, reel, line, landing net, unhooking mat, a couple of floats and something to sit on. I don't think I have spent much more than 60-70 quid in the last 3 years. £3 of that was for a day ticket to Bucklers Hard.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Since I mainly catch fish below the pound mark, I usually use the same hook for as many sessions as possible until it breaks. The reason why I do this is becuase I never catch big fish.

I always keep hooks that have been snagged off the line - you can always attach new line using a hook tyer if it's a spade end one - no need to waste money bying new ones - unless they're blunt of course, but if they are, I would just use a file to sharpen the hook.

I'm a bit paranoid about hooks, I never use the same one twice.

I discard (in a sensible way) my hook at the end of every sesssion, and use a brand new one out of the packet at the start of the next session.

Mat

I do the same, my point to this thread, is:

is there not something the manufacturers can use that degrades fairly quickly, but keeps the hook in good condition for a sessions fishing.

its just a thought, as there seems to be so much doubt about, do we leave the hook in, try and get it out and risk damage to the fish.

its something we all seem to have a problem with.

smac

You mean biodegradeable hooks? That's a good idea. But I doubt the companies will invest in new equipment to make biodegradeable hooks, which, in theory will be less stronger that the ones we use nowadays.

Edited by iamlucky18

I'm a bit paranoid about hooks, I never use the same one twice.

I discard (in a sensible way) my hook at the end of every sesssion, and use a brand new one out of the packet at the start of the next session.

Mat

Tackle manufacturers must love peeps like you. How often do you ditch your rods and reels? Never using the same hook twice sounds more like superstition than anything else.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

You mean biodegradeable hooks? That's a good idea. But I doubt the companies will invest in new equipment to make biodegradeable hooks, which, in theory will be less stronger that the ones we use nowadays.

I agree they may be less stronger, maybe a slightly bigger gauage. but what part of the hook is the strongest point, is it the bend.

and would we all not buy more hooks better for the hook companies, its not always about cost, sometimes protection is a higher price. or should they not make them and give us anglers and option. we have an option on food, organic or not, we choose.

its just a thought as i dont know much about hooks and the manufacturing process.

smac

Tackle manufacturers must love peeps like you. How often do you ditch your rods and reels? Never using the same hook twice sounds more like superstition than anything else.

maybe it is superstition, or prefference, does it really matter. im looking at the protection of fish. thats why i started this thread, im happy to pay a few more pence to save a fish than not.

some people like to save money and not fish.

smac

its something we all seem to have a problem with.

smac

Speak for yourself mate. I never haved had have problems getting hooks out, but then again I have never done the type of very light fishing that some do on here ( you know the hair rigged fillet of maggot with a size 66 hook). I really cannot remeber the last time I had a fish swallow the lot. The next time it happens I will cut the line and let it go and hope for the best if it is a big fish or knock it on the head and put it out of its misery if it is a tiddler. Either way no sleep will be lost.

maybe it is superstition, or prefference, does it really matter. im looking at the protection of fish. thats why i started this thread, im happy to pay a few more pence to save a fish than not.

some people like to save money and not fish.

smac

So changing your hook every cast protect fish? A brand new hook won't go all ther way down. What a load of bollix.