Fishing hooks

s_mac

Out of interest Newt, have you any idea how hooks are 'chemically sharpened'?

I don't have a clue corydoras. I do know that all I manage to do with a stone is to make the hook point worse.

This is probably due in large part to the fact that I use almost nothing other than circle hooks these days and the curved point on them is a real horror to try and sharpen.

My basic feeling is that I spend enough money to go fishing that a little more spent on hooks if it prevents lost fish is money well spent.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on some hooks are £4 for 8... they could be made of gold for that....

I bin my hook at the end of every session, often its getting dark and its easier to break off my hook (and split shot) and stick it in a bin bag. My hooks are seldom more than 10p each and I will probably chuck many times that worth of maggots in at the end of a session. Like someone else said, my hooks have been snagged in various pieces of vegetation through a session and prob wouldn't be good for another 8 or 10 hours of fishing. I would mostly use size 10 or less.

My lures, I try and sharpen hooks before each use. I am disappointed when some obviously cheap trebles rust but I struggle to change them and have on occaision fished a lure where the hook isn't in the best condition!

I heard that your youngster wears out more hooks on fish than you do Mr M! :P;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

have you any idea how hooks are 'chemically sharpened'?

There ya go Corrie

http://www.fishingpatents.com/chemically-s...tents-usa.shtml

Possible with car battery (sulphuric) acid and a DC lash-up with more car batteries.

Have done it in the past, but really its a lot of bother to save pennies. I do NOT recommend anyone try it unless they KNOW what they are doing (if anyone just THINKS they know - that is not good enough :sun: leccy plus acid can be dodgy)

Larger hooks (like for conger, skate, shark etc) are better done by hand with a file and finished off with fine emery cloth.

Norma and I have been catching skate on the same half-dozen 12/0 hooks since 1999

I change small (ie 12 or smaller) hooks only if

1. I have been snagged and hook has straightened - I NEVER re-bend it - a re-bent hook is a weak hook

2. I detect rust (I think the "taste" of rust puts fish off) - I clean bait off my hooks thoroughly when packing up to avoid rust - rinse in clean water and dry thoroughly when I get home. Same applies to lures and flies - never put them away wet and the hooks will last years.

3. The hook has lost its sharpness - some keep sharp for three or four sessions, but continual re-baiting with maggots will blunt a hook eventually.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,interesting observation re the fish "tasting" rust on a hook. Why do you say this?

Budgie, I have never done any formal experiments (using "rusty" against "clean" hooks) to test the idea, but years ago, when I was hard-up I used to re-use hooks till they rusted clean away. Unfortunately, as a youth, I was not only hard-up but too lazy to clean the hooks properly if I kept them for more than one session. Result - I fished with VERY rusty hooks

I formed the impression I was getting more bites on new, clean hooks than on old rusty ones. This was more marked with sea-fish than freshwater.

So now, unless I can clean any rust off (easier with larger hooks) I replace the hook.

As an anthropomorphic and subjective aside, I often eat my waterside snap peasant-fashion, using only a clasp knife as a tool to carve bits off a chunk of Shropshire Blue cheese, a ham-bone or a venison haunch.

My modern stainless Swiss-Army knife leaves no taste, but I can distinctly pick up the rusty "tang" from my old deerhorn-handled hunter's knife with its rust-pocked but easily-sharpened blade.

If I can detect such a tang, I think the fish might too - so I avoid rusty hooks.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes I agree we can taste the difference so maybe the fish can as well.I was just interested to hear if you had done any research.

Mr M thats why I asked,I wondered if you put split rings on your lures hook hangers before putting new hooks on.Have you tried a pair of split ring pliers? I find it fiddly with my fingers as well.I also think that with a split ring connecting the hook to the lure you have less chance of the lure "levering" the hooks out of a pike once hooked.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Vagabond, could be a much simpler reason why "new" hooks catch more than rusty ones...simply because they are sharper, and the point has not rusted away :)

For my part, I change when I THINK the point has deteriorated, any doubt and out it goes. My current hooks cost £4 .40 for 10, so it is quite a sacrifice.

Likewise, if I get a few bleeps or little lifts which don't develop into runs, then I change hooks, but don't always throw that one away!!

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Mr M,"Split Ring Pliers" look like normal long nose pliers but have a "beak" like protrusion on the tip which when you squeeze the ring opens it up.Cant post a picture.Dont know if Andrews got a pair he could show you down the Pool?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

but some have, I think they are called, split rings. I even bought some but I can't get the split rings to close in a way that gives me confidence that they won't give way in a tussle!

Split Ring Pliers are what you need.

splitrng1.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President