Hair Rigs missed bites!

BedsFisherman

Hi All,

I had my first go at Feeder fishing and hair rigs Sunday unfortunately had no success.

I bought ready tied Hairs on size 10 spade hooks 15inch nylon lengths, the feeder was then attached to the main fishing line with the Hair rig attached via a loop on the main line. Length of the feeder from the loop was a 7 inches, so 8 inches length difference between Feeder and hook.

I was getting some big takes using the heaviest tip indicator obviously carp but everytime bait was gone and nothing on!

I was fishing Luncheon meat and using large chunks around the inch squared size but I couldn't work out firstly why the fish weren't hooking themselves (Although understand this could be due to the weight of the feeder) or was I reacting to slow they were getting the bait and spitting the hook out?

I had at least 6-7 takes like that so can't believe they were all line bites. After 5 hours of misses I ditched the feeder and went back to the trusty float which has seen me good for my fishing career so far. problem is I have bought the feeder rod I really like it but have lost confidence in my ability to fish this way

Help appreciated!

Maybe you were striking too late, practice will make pefect so keep using it....what i do is make a load of different rigs up but the main one ill use is a 4-6lb hooklength with a size 10-14 hook hairrigged and a swivel tied on the other end, make the length of the rig about 8 inches long, thread the feeder(i use fox freeline) on the mainline which is 8lb and then a rubber bead then tie the rig on to the mainline the same way you would tie a hook on and away you go........hope this helps.

What sort of hair stops were you using ? The luncheon meat could have been pulling straight off the hair every time , I recently bought some of those Fox luncheon meat stops, they are really good at keeping the meat on the hair , if a fish picks up the meat the hook goes with it . You don't even have to soften your cast with those on. I was using a method feeder and soem of the takes were quite violent.

When I wind in to recast the meat is still on the hair most times. Maybe the meat was too big for the hook size or the hair was too short.

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Thanks Guys,

I'll the hair stops when I get home they were spears to be exact not sure of make though!

I have to say though the meat was staying on pretty well because it was there everytime I wound in without bites but gone everytime following a bite! I think possibly the chunks I were using were to large as the hook was resting on the meat and not necessarily sitting next to it.

Also to have the fish hook themselves I take it I use a heavier feeder or weight? any suggestions on the weight?

I'll change bait and try boilies next time see if the bait makes the difference ;)

what strength tip was you using, as feeder fishing for carp is a sit on your hands and wait for the rod tip to Wang round and the reel starts to back-wind.

if you are using a fixed bail-arm and your tip is quite heavy this might be the problem, try something like a 1.5 to 2.0 Oz tip and make sure your reel can back-wind, also don't point your rod at a 90 degree to your feeder try something like a 30 degree angle to your feeder.

hope that helps.

also try shortening your hair on the hair rig (not on your head) or lengthening it until you have a more positive take,

weights of feeders depends, if you want a bolt rig then 1.5 to 2 .0 should be fine, 3to 4 oz leads are more for distance casting, bolt rigs ain't very kind to the fish either so try a semi bolt IE, put your feeder through a loop of about 10 inches and see how you get on.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image