Getting the right line.

jim winstone

Some advice please.I am about to match up a Hyperloop FA 390 & a Stradic 4000 for the fist time to fish a water where 10lb carp can be expected. Obviously I need as small as possible diameter line as possible relative to its strength. Any suggesrions please ?

JJHW

The braid 'super lines' have by far the smallest diameter for a given b/s and work fine on fixed spool reels.

My personal choice is PowerPro but there are some other goods ones available.

b/s ------- dia ---- mono equiv

8 lb ----- .005 --- 1 lb

10 lb ---- .006 --- 2 lb

15 lb ---- .007 --- 4 lb

20 lb ---- .009 --- 6 lb

30 lb ---- .011 --- 8 lb

40 lb ---- .013 --- 10 lb

50 lb ---- .014 --- 12 lb

65 lb ---- .016 --- 16 lb

80 lb ---- .017 --- 18 lb

100lb ---- .018 --- 20 lb

150lb ---- .022 --- 30 lb

200lb ---- .030 --- 50 lb

250lb ---- .035 --- 80 lb

Note: they have added a 5 lb b/s line but I don't know the diameter or the mono equiv

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The braid 'super lines' have by far the smallest diameter for a given b/s and work fine on fixed spool reels.

My personal choice is PowerPro but there are some other goods ones available.

b/s ------- dia ---- mono equiv

8 lb ----- .005 --- 1 lb

10 lb ---- .006 --- 2 lb

15 lb ---- .007 --- 4 lb

20 lb ---- .009 --- 6 lb

30 lb ---- .011 --- 8 lb

40 lb ---- .013 --- 10 lb

50 lb ---- .014 --- 12 lb

65 lb ---- .016 --- 16 lb

80 lb ---- .017 --- 18 lb

100lb ---- .018 --- 20 lb

150lb ---- .022 --- 30 lb

200lb ---- .030 --- 50 lb

250lb ---- .035 --- 80 lb

Note: they have added a 5 lb b/s line but I don't know the diameter or the mono equiv

Many thanks - I have ordered some

Jim

JJHW

I am not convinced that your line 'obviously' needs to be as fine as possible.

If you want to use monofil then find one that will do the job rather than worry about it's diameter.

I remember, many years ago, when I match fished on the Trent.... Many matchmen used 1.5 lbs mainline when stickfloat fishing whereas many others advocated at least 4 lbs as they felt it made it easier to control the float.

There did not seem to be any consistent difference in their catches.

I think there are more important factors to consider.

I agree with Dogfish. Additionally a line that is ultra-thin for its diameter is likely to have less resistance to a sudden increase in pressure, and so may break more easily if the fish suddendly shoots away.

In fact, there are many factors to consider when choosing a line. Normally you want a balance between them, although you may need to lean towards a particular property in a given situation. However, it's swings and roundabouts, and you may have to compromise - if for instance you increase the abrasion resistance you usually decrease the suppleness.

There's an excellent article here on Angler's Net about choosing mono by Jim Gibbinson. See http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...mono_facts.html

I also go into this a bit in my review of my favourite general purpose mono, Gold Label Pro-Gold, at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/progold01.htm Recently I've also been trying Pro Clear from the same stable. I may well be changing to this for bait fishing for pike as it appears to be less springy (important when fishing open bail arm), whilst keeping with Pro Gold for lighter fishing.

I use braid for lure fishing, for which IMO its lack of stretch and thus sensitivity puts it way ahead of mono. My favourite is Power Pro. I also like Nash Bullet Braid for its abrasion resistance.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A good line that offers fine diameter, a robust nature and a good degree of stretch is "Match Team" origionally from Silstar but now available form WB Clarke. Ive used this a lot over the years for float fishing in 3-6lbs strains.

A good line that offers fine diameter, a robust nature and a good degree of stretch is "Match Team" origionally from Silstar but now available form WB Clarke. Ive used this a lot over the years for float fishing in 3-6lbs strains.

Check the max line recommeded for the float road, you don't want to go too heavy the rod won't be able to cope with it ,it'll probably be 5 or 6lb max, those rings are very small. Set the clutch right and you'll be fine.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.