Help with boat fishing ..

dav

Hiya lads , my mate has just got himself a 17 ft dory , after several months of searching , He has had a few boats before and knows the score regarding safety , and all the essential gear needed for boat fishing , the thing is its been several years since his last boat , so hes abit unsure of good grounds etc , we will be going no further than several miles out ,with it only being a smallish boat , can anyone advise on any good close in fishing grounds ,and what type of setup i should be using , i have a couple of abu 7000 i use for me rough ground rocking and daiwa sl30shv s , would these type of reels be sufficient for close in boat work and what fish will we be expecting to catch , i,ve heard of pollack etc being caught from inshore boats , can anyone advise , as i would like to vary my catch , instead of just codding with pirks etc would bait and lures be any good , any advise would be greatly appreciated as ive only ever been out on wrecking boats 30 miles out and ive no experience on close in grounds and tackle required to catch , and is there any websites with info on inshore reefs and water depths etc for the north east coast around staithes area etc, or will it be just a case of trying to suss them out our selfs , cheers ......

Hiya lads , my mate has just got himself a 17 ft dory , after several months of searching , He has had a few boats before and knows the score regarding safety , and all the essential gear needed for boat fishing , the thing is its been several years since his last boat , so hes abit unsure of good grounds etc , we will be going no further than several miles out ,with it only being a smallish boat , can anyone advise on any good close in fishing grounds ,and what type of setup i should be using , i have a couple of abu 7000 i use for me rough ground rocking and daiwa sl30shv s , would these type of reels be sufficient for close in boat work and what fish will we be expecting to catch , i,ve heard of pollack etc being caught from inshore boats , can anyone advise , as i would like to vary my catch , instead of just codding with pirks etc would bait and lures be any good , any advise would be greatly appreciated as ive only ever been out on wrecking boats 30 miles out and ive no experience on close in grounds and tackle required to catch , and is there any websites with info on inshore reefs and water depths etc for the north east coast around staithes area etc, or will it be just a case of trying to suss them out our selfs , cheers ......

Hi Dav,

Cant really help mate but there are a couple of lads in the whitby forum who fish with small boats from Staithes, I'm sure they would be willing to offer some advice. Just ask for Tim or Paul. You dont have to sign up - just post.

http://wsaa.proboards106.com/index.cgi