Guideless fishing rods?

bingo

I watched one of the old Total Fishing with Matt Hayes on Discovery Real Time the other day and in the section where he talks about new kit he featured a rod where the line actually went through the rod itself and came out through a hole at the tip of the rod. Anyway, he said he thought these might become the new 'big thing' in fishing. But I've never seen one!

Anyone ever used one? Are they available? Any advantages? Disadvantages?!

By the way, this programme was clearly made quite a few years ago because he was speaking in his strange cockney (mockney?) accent that he no longer uses. I enjoy his programmes with Mick Brown but those early ones he made are pretty ropey! Although I do find 'The Panel' quite amusing! Good ol' Peter Stone.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I watched one of the old Total Fishing with Matt Hayes on Discovery Real Time the other day and in the section where he talks about new kit he featured a rod where the line actually went through the rod itself and came out through a hole at the tip of the rod. Anyway, he said he thought these might become the new 'big thing' in fishing. But I've never seen one!

By the way, this programme was clearly made quite a few years ago because he was speaking in his strange cockney (mockney?) accent that he no longer uses. I enjoy his programmes with Mick Brown but those early ones he made are pretty ropey! Although I do find 'The Panel' quite amusing! Good ol' Peter Stone.

I use a Fox Bonsai stalking rod, which is the internal guide version (just what you're describing). I'ts great for tight swims where line would snag normally. I don't think it's made anymore but it's a really usefull rod, it also doubles as a lure rod for pike.

I think a few other carp rod manufacturers played around with them, but never really took off as far as i can tell.

Paul

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Bit of a gimmick that never caught on.

For one thing the hole in the blank is so small and so close to the reel that even with a multipllier the line hasn`t a chance of going through cleanly. Also, the friction caused by having the line running the length of the rod will drastically reduce casting. Why do you think long range rods have as few rings as possible, large ones at that.

For hoiking big lures around at fairly close range I can see the rod being useable but if the banks are clear enough for a six or nine hooked plug to be cast then why would you want the line running up the centre of the rod anyway?

wolf.gif

Your joking, a fox rod that did not catch on when blatently plugged by a (then) fox employee on the roger mellie - I never.

Wonder if TFG will bring one out?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi bingo, I remember these being announced in the angling press, it must be around 30yrs ago. Never came to anything, just went the way of 'The Mabby', the self striking rod rest, the lignum vitae floats and shotting system made by Walter Bowyer (I've still got one of those) and the 'Clockwork' reel. These were just some of the 'fantastic' new additions to an anglers armoury, that were going to revolutionise angling. :blink:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sound not decidedly dissimilar from the shock-sticks that have recently been released....saw one in action the other day, handy for close margin fishing & strong as 'owt.

Sound not decidedly dissimilar from the shock-sticks that have recently been released....saw one in action the other day, handy for close margin fishing & strong as 'owt.

I though A shock stick was a two or three piece 40+ elastic rated lip ripping device used for dragging carp from the margins in quick time!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Your joking, a fox rod that did not catch on when blatently plugged by a (then) fox employee on the roger mellie - I never.

Wonder if TFG will bring one out?

Actually, the rod in question was a Shimano Scorpion in-line baitcasting rod and as such had nothing what so ever to do with Fox :lol::lol:

Contrary to popular belief in-line or guideless rods still very much exist, but mainly among Japanese high-end manufacturers of sea angling and jigging rods.

Edited by Vidar6

Never seen, or hear of these rods. The only point I wished to raise is that Matt NEVER had a cockney, or Mockney accent. He comes from deepest, darkest BIrmingham. Smethwick to be precise, the same as me. :P

Strike!!! What????