Shads

darlick

Through the tail or under the chin it still weighed almost 7 pounds :P . The luckiest catch I ever made that one :) . Not sure how it happened ? must have been swimming past.

It was a bright red fish and covered in scabs on 1 side. I gave it to Tim, and warned him about it being scabby down 1 side. He just laughed and said our lass can have that bit.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=67918

if you used proper hooks instead of those 3/0 flattie hooks you may get them in the mouth :P

cheers Chris

Andrew did a bit of a feature with dave barham from boatfishing monthly just a little while back iit should be in the shops in the next issue.

I told dave just how much we use shads now at whitby nowadays so that i presume shading will be what the feature will highlite ,i have been useing them for quite a few years here now and a lot of people couldnt believe just how affective they can be and just what you can catch on shads they are all the rage here now pirking still does very well and on its day and will take some beating but overall i use shads now, we had a couple of months early on in the year which i really couldnt explain during march and april you would go to a wreck and drop a pirk down or a large piece of squid and not take one fish which give the impresion the wreck was bare, then drop a shad down and every rod would go in a lot of lads who fished with me threw those early months couldnt believe there eyes a lot had never used shads before but they were soon converted and love the way you fish with them the lighter you go the better the fun i use a maximus 20lb class and 30lb braid i have had cod and ling both into the 20s this year on the shad and on that rod you know about it but why shads fish when nothing else does seems strange i they are a sprat look a like which cod seem to favour early on in the year but that is just guese work.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

andy.

Fishing is a strange business. I think shads are great at times too. But if I am fishing for big fish it has to be a small jigger on its own. The cod we have had this year over thirty pounds have been caught using this method, so have the majority of the fish over 20lbs.

Fishing in 15 meters or less is great sport and you can fish the way you want to fish weather permitting. Fishing in 15mtrs of water where there are loads of fish is even better.

You keep catching all that fish in bay Andy, cannot for the life of me understand why you winch yourself aboard us at every opportunity? :P

andy.

Fishing is a strange business. I think shads are great at times too. But if I am fishing for big fish it has to be a small jigger on its own. The cod we have had this year over thirty pounds have been caught using this method, so have the majority of the fish over 20lbs.

Fishing in 15 meters or less is great sport and you can fish the way you want to fish weather permitting. Fishing in 15mtrs of water where there are loads of fish is even better.

You keep catching all that fish in bay Andy, cannot for the life of me understand why you winch yourself aboard us at every opportunity? :P

John you know the reasons mate and there are plenty.

Its been a very strange year inside we started of at a hell of a gallop, and as you all know we had that blow in August and then we started to struggle it took a long time for the water to clear tons of feed but i can count the cod on one hand that had been full of sand eel or sprats, but i have never seen so many pipe fish for some strange reason the cod have been stuffed with them,like i said earlyer the small jigers that we use usually take plenty of fish but they have been totaly out fished by the shad and better fish.in the wreks that you fish john with plenty of fish on single jigger will allways do well, regards Andy

Guest challenge
John you know the reasons mate and there are plenty.

Its been a very strange year inside we started of at a hell of a gallop, and as you all know we had that blow in August and then we started to struggle it took a long time for the water to clear tons of feed but i can count the cod on one hand that had been full of sand eel or sprats, but i have never seen so many pipe fish for some strange reason the cod have been stuffed with them,like i said earlyer the small jigers that we use usually take plenty of fish but they have been totaly out fished by the shad and better fish.in the wreks that you fish john with plenty of fish on single jigger will allways do well, regards Andy

Put kettle on will be round shortly, to talk tactics. :sun::sun::sun:

andy.

That seems very strange john as all the fish over 20lb i have had this year including cod and ling have all fell to the shad and that and thats even when other people on the boat are pirking are you getting many lads using the shad.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

That seems very strange john as all the fish over 20lb i have had this year including cod and ling have all fell to the shad and that and thats even when other people on the boat are pirking are you getting many lads using the shad.

After seeing the way that they fish and the fish they catch i am converted.thats untill something else comes out that will better them.culour plays a good part also we have found the other day les had brown shads on i had pearly white les had all the best fish on brown and more fish,nothing on jigger, but as fishing goes never two days the same.

Guest challenge

I always say to the lads that if we get a wreck and there is obviously big fish on it, because the first drift has produced say a dozen fish in double figures, then just go down with single jigger, 99.9% of large fish I have seen (am not talking ling here we don’t even class them as being a fish on here) have been taken that way. WALCOTT, Charlie, all members of our thirty plus club this year have all caught fish this way.

It’s very shallow water in places where we work and the tide does strange things. It’s a different fishing altogether. I do think that shads are good fun and lots of lads use them, but if your targeting big cod, then I no what method I would use. At the end of the day it depends what you realistically think you’re going to catch?

Big Cod - go down to a 15lb class rod if you're using a single lure (but keep the same line). You'll land every fish unless you hook one over 15lb right in the wreck, in which case you may not be able to bully it over the top. Having said that, I've managed to pull loads of good ling out of snaggy wrecks when catching them on live mackerel just in front of the wreck this year.

How are you fishing your shads, 'hopping', or 'spinning up' style? I have problems with vast numbers of pollack on my wrecks, so I prefer pirking to shadding as it helps avoid them.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com