Circle Hooks

Elton

The kahle hooks I got are all Mustad and they call them 'Croaker hooks'

croaker

atlantic_croaker.jpg

The only option was red which makes me wonder if that is simply fashion or if the red ones are really more effective. I'm certainly seeing more pred hooks being offered in that color these days.

I added a pack of a modified hook that looks to be a cross between a standard circle and standard kahle. Also Mustad and also red. Hmmmmm.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Newt', been reading you descriptions of the circle hooks you use, do yours look like either of these:

These are hooks I have to try, the red ones did get a short trial last year and seemed to work well, and are they sharp!!!! dont like the revers worm barbs so I did squash them down.

hooks.jpg

The VMC Octopus hooks seem to be made of a light weight alloy? I have some 7/0's and they weigh nothing?

Cliff

Edited by CJS2

Not like those Cliff. The circle pattern relies on an inturned point so that in most cases, the hook simply slides when against a solid surface (fish belly, log, rock, etc.) but when it encounters a smaller obstruction (bony lip ridge, small limb, etc.) it turns and digs in.

72946a.jpg

400-664-01.jpg

Some might have a barb on the shaft if they are designed for use with soft plastics but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a circle worm hook.

Most of my fishing is fresh water and I target several species that are well known for deep hooking. I started using to circle hooks to see if I could reduce this since I am normally too lazy to want to clean fish and prefer to release them.

With bluegills, the ratio went down from roughly 1 in 5 hooked so deep the hook had to be left in for the fish to have a chance of survival to maybe 1 in 50.

With smallish catfish where they seem to swollow the bait without the rod tip giving any bite indication, I still land them with a hook down very deep but a steady pull and it comes out. Those that are hooked are usually lip hooked. Very rare these days to gut hook a catfish.

I use circles when the bait is suitable but for larger lives, I go with a kahle pattern which behaves much the same way although usually slightly further back - still in the scissors. They work well when mounting lives a bait.

91586c.jpg

I think these are the ones that Cranfield said were still deep hooking when he used them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not like those Cliff. The circle pattern relies on an inturned point so that in most cases, the hook simply slides when against a solid surface (fish belly, log, rock, etc.) but when it encounters a smaller obstruction (bony lip ridge, small limb, etc.) it turns and digs in.

72946a.jpg

400-664-01.jpg

Some might have a barb on the shaft if they are designed for use with soft plastics but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a circle worm hook.

Most of my fishing is fresh water and I target several species that are well known for deep hooking. I started using to circle hooks to see if I could reduce this since I am normally too lazy to want to clean fish and prefer to release them.

With bluegills, the ratio went down from roughly 1 in 5 hooked so deep the hook had to be left in for the fish to have a chance of survival to maybe 1 in 50.

With smallish catfish where they seem to swollow the bait without the rod tip giving any bite indication, I still land them with a hook down very deep but a steady pull and it comes out. Those that are hooked are usually lip hooked. Very rare these days to gut hook a catfish.

I use circles when the bait is suitable but for larger lives, I go with a kahle pattern which behaves much the same way although usually slightly further back - still in the scissors. They work well when mounting lives a bait.

91586c.jpg

I think these are the ones that Cranfield said were still deep hooking when he used them.

I get the feeling, we seem to have strange offerings in the UK Newt. The red hooks I pictured are not sold as (semi) circles although they are said to work in a similar way? The Octopus are marketed as S/Circles?

I like the look of the top hook (no designation letter) in your picture, good shape, big gap, whats the manufacturer and designation mate? Do they come in all sizes?

Cliff

Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks (my usual choice BTW) and I know they are available from #8 to 8/0. BassPro has packs for $2.30 and from 6 to 10 per pack, depending on the size. Not sure about sourcing them from the UK.

Thanks Newt, it would appear Diawa are agent for Gamakatsu, problem is, I bet there's not a shop in the UK stock them, we shall see?

Any one on her seen them in the UK?

Cliff

Edited by CJS2

Thanks Newt, it would appear Diawa are agent for Gamakatsu, problem is, I bet there's not a shop in the UK stock them, we shall see?

Any one on her seen them in the UK?

Cliff

Cliff,

The Breakaway (Ipswich) site lists Gamakatsu Aberdeens. May be worth calling them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cliff,

The Breakaway (Ipswich) site lists Gamakatsu Aberdeens. May be worth calling them.

Thanks Elton, the 'Breakaway' shop is 4 doors down from my home back garden gate!!! :lol:

Cliff

If none available locally, with Basspro selling them for $2.29 a pack (or £1.22), even adding shipping & VAT to the cost, as long as you stayed under £18 per order and avoided duty, they would not be too expensive if bought from the US.

Thanks Elton, the 'Breakaway' shop is 4 doors down from my home back garden gate!!! :lol:

Cliff

That's scary. I used to live a few doors down, on the opposite side of the road, for a while!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE