do or die

steve good

There's fish being caught alright, just that these people have been scared off; from another forum:

'.....plenty of big bass coming out, in the past 2 weeks ive had 2 doubles, 5 between 9 & 10lb an 8 a 7 a 6 and a 5 and about 50 mackerel, have also seen plenty of other big fish between 6 and 12lb almost all are still falling to ...'

There's one to weep about.

Oh, I'd be surprised if they went back either.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'.....plenty of big bass coming out, in the past 2 weeks ive had 2 doubles, 5 between 9 & 10lb an 8 a 7 a 6 and a 5 and about 50 mackerel, have also seen plenty of other big fish between 6 and 12lb almost all are still falling to ...'

Where did that report come from, Jackanory? :lol:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Oh yeah, I had heard about Cromer pier. There is a population of large bass that visit it every year that is gradually being whittled down to nothing. I heard that the lifeboat station is the best place and that some of the lifeboatmen are also commercial fishermen. The person that told me about it said that they had an agreement between them not to net these bass.

The trouble is, when people kill these big bass, they aren't replaced by other big bass. If they carry on, there won't be many left before long.

Don't drink and drive.

You're right. It isn't like people taking the odd big fish, the slaughter is done on quite a scale each year. As said, it seems to be crude fishing, 40lb line sort of thing. Other doubles have shown recently though overall it has been a poor year for bass; but then we haven't had the conditions. There is quite a lot of inshore netting done and shrimpers working close inshore so heavens knows what they take.

You're right. It isn't like people taking the odd big fish, the slaughter is done on quite a scale each year. As said, it seems to be crude fishing, 40lb line sort of thing. Other doubles have shown recently though overall it has been a poor year for bass; but then we haven't had the conditions. There is quite a lot of inshore netting done and shrimpers working close inshore so heavens knows what they take.

I've also heard it can get a bit heated down there when someone fishes in "someone elses spot". Those big fish will be replaced with schoolies and that pier will be no different from all the other marks that used to hold good numbers of big bass. Then the schoolies will get hammered and there won't be much left at all. If this season has been bad, wait until next season! It'll be worse. You can only catch them once if you kill them. They never come back!

Don't drink and drive.

Heated, yes, from what I've heard too. I would think this is because some people probably do this for commercial gain. There's also lots of holiday makers who may not follow fishing etiquette, and non-indigenous people who speak with foriegn tounges - I see Sam has come across some recently.

There really isn't much sport in the way they fish which is a shame because fairly near is the opportunity to take these fish on spinning tackle. Numbers have definately been down this year, of bopth big and smaller fish, including the schoolies.

My point is that, shall we say, regular fishermen must not be scared off this site or else the conservation message will not be heard at all by them. I think recently people have been put off posting and some have gone elsewhere altogether. A delicate balance I know, but one that ought to be considered.

You've got to be having a laugh haven't you Steve? I agree with what you say, but it's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? The man who opposed measures to improve bass stocks, and would probably oppose every other conservation measure. The man who is backing the legal campaign to get the increased MLS over turned.

You're not a closet angler are you Steve? :blink:

hi steve

i have fished ever summer for the past 30 years for bass commercial with rod and line i was an angler before that for 22 years i started angling with my dad when i was 4 years old

my commercial opinon is that raiseing the mls for bass will have an affect that will decrease bass stocks.

i have written a letter to joe borg fisheries commissionar asking for a closed season on spawning bass that needs to done first have YOU WRITTEN YOUR LETTER TO HIM.

your post is way off the mark

regards steve

ps are you really leon or not