Help needed

pikergonecarpin

I have an old digital camera that i gave used for years, it performs everything i need of it admirably, but is a little low on resolution.

The camera i have is a Ricoh RDC4200. Cost me a fortune at the time.

The reason i picked this camera originally was primarily because it was very good at the self photography part. It has a rotatable lens for normal shots or self takes so you can see yourself (with big fish hopefully) easily on the screen. Also have the optional full function remote making the self take part even easier.

Are there any other cameras out there with the same functions but better resolutions? Do i even need a new camera (i'm the worlds worst for buying things i don't really need)

Thanks

Paul.

Edited by pikergonecarpin
There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Click here and read what Steve Burke has to say on the same subject about cameras with flip round screens.

That should give you a headstart on the subject.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I am new to this game and bought my first digital camera about one month ago. It is a Canon Powershot A700 - pick up my original thread on page 3.

I was after an idiotproof camera with an optical viewfinder as well as a display screen. It fits the bill for me ff2 has had a bit play with it at work so he may comment on this thread if he sees it. It is dead simple to use. Even put two shots from it into the current "stones"comp :)

Hope you get what you want mate :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher, those pics are good from your A700, have to watch you in the future, to many good pics appearing just lately :lol:

Cliff

Edited by CJS2

Snatcher, those pics are good from your A700, have to watch you in the future, to many good pics appearing just lately :lol:

Cliff

I will take that as a compliment then :sun: cheers mate :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Looks a good camera :thumbs: but i need something with a flip out screen or rotatable lens. I mostly use my current camera for taking pictures of fish, and since i fish mostly alone i need to be able to see myself when taking the pictures (purely because i'm crap at framing without it) also need to be able to remotely zoom in/out to get the picture right, then push the remote quickly before the fish jumps out my hands :fish:

I don't know how others do it, but without a remote my results are awful. I've been searching for a replacement camera for a while, but can't find one with a flip out screen and full remote that isn't mega money.

I might just have to resign myself to using it for a good while longer.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Looks a good camera :thumbs: but i need something with a flip out screen or rotatable lens. I mostly use my current camera for taking pictures of fish, and since i fish mostly alone i need to be able to see myself when taking the pictures (purely because i'm crap at framing without it) also need to be able to remotely zoom in/out to get the picture right, then push the remote quickly before the fish jumps out my hands :fish:

I don't know how others do it, but without a remote my results are awful. I've been searching for a replacement camera for a while, but can't find one with a flip out screen and full remote that isn't mega money.

I might just have to resign myself to using it for a good while longer.

Paul.

Some of the Canon models have flip out screens,not sure which ones though???

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

This is what I posted on a previous topic:

"Firstly, if you're taking photos in poor light (and many anglers do so) I'd suggest you buy a camera with "focus assist". Without this feature such photos may not be sharply focussed.

Secondly, as you want to take self-portraits I'd recommend you look at cameras with screens that you can flip round so that you can see yourself holding a fish. They really do make the whole process a lot easier, and I wouldn't buy another camera for fishing without this facility. In fact with many of the Canon models you can even set it up so that the self-timer is delayed for anything up to 30 seconds, and then take up to 10 photos without returning to the camera! I find this very useful indeed for fishing.

The camera that has all the above features and fits your budget best is the Canon Powershot A620. It can be bought online from £149.95 including carriage. Go to http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/d...s/452832/prices

It has 7 megapixels and a 4x zoom. It takes inexpensive AA batteries and doesn't eat them up as quickly as many of its competitors.

Spending only £150 on the camera will leave you some money over to buy 2 sets of rechargeable batteries plus a charger, and also a larger memory card. Unless you've already got one you will of course need a tripod for self-portraits.

These cameras have had rave reviews. There are links to these reviews and other price comparison sites in the Links Vault on this forum. go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=58897

P.S. I forgot to add that these cameras are very easy to use as you can set them on fully auto so that you just point and shoot. However they've got full manual override if you want to later go that route."

On a slightly later topic I also said:

"You'll also need another memory card - this is really like a spare film as it's reusable. Get at least a 256mB one. There are 2 main formats, this camera takes SD cards.

7 Day Shop are doing 256mB memory cards from just £5.99. Best value seems to be 2GB at only £17.99! Go to http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.ph...&r=20060811

If you haven't already got some I'd also recommend you buy 2 sets of rechargeable AA batteries plus a charger. This will save you a lot of money in the long run. Again 7 Day Shop are good value.

If this is over your budget this page is especially useful in choosing a camera: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Having found the camera you want this site will come up with the best prices for you: http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/ "

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net