Which Laptop?

Andrew Boyd

Hi

With my oldest now working on his A levels I need to get him a Laptop. I have a budget of £500.00 and looking through the specs on offer I see that an increase on processor speed means the manufacturers reduce the other functions.

Lots of reconditioned out there, but I'm reluctant as I would expect there to be issues with software licences etc. Get a cheapo and find having to spend out on obtaining the windows functions?

Any thoughts or offers you know off I should be looking at?

Any help greatfully received.

Andrew Boyd

Last time i looked Tesco's were selling them for £299, just about as cheap as they go. Plenty left over for software if thats what you need.

I even think i remember an advert for PC World on TV last night and they were selling a Tosh for £349.

As long as he's not playing games they should be fine.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

a friend of mine got a real cracker for about £300 from pc world. im not a great fan of pc world but i must admit i was impressed with some of there latest deals

also Dell is a good place to seek out laptops. get them from £300 to £500

acer also make good laptops but they are pricy

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have said . . I'm avoiding PC World . . friend's wife had a bad experence. After several weeks of hair pulling which did not see the problem fixed and lot's spent on the help line, she marched up to her local store and dumped the problem PC outside and made a huge fuss until she got her money back. :)

Andrew Boyd

it would be very worth your while checking this website out

ARIA PC

personaly i think it is an awsome website for computers/laptops/accessories and other gadgets

it gets right down to business with no fluffly edges or mindless customer care people like pc world and theres always a good deal to be had, i love their special offers section

on the above link there is a DELL PRECISION M60 Laptop. at a glance this laptop looks ok, its fast enough for todays applications/games it has a reasonable storage capacity ram is not so great but if its basic word processing and surfing the net and homework/studies then that doesnt matter i would say this is a perfect little laptop but i dont know what your son would use it for and its only £375 View here

i probably wouldnt recomend this if your son is in to his computers and will be tannin the arse out of it (in a good way) then i would recomend this one View Here

only reason i recomend this is that i think they perform better (personal experience) plus its a larger screen so (Wide screen) more storage capacity, its wireless which is always a bonus and has a dvd player.

anyway have a look around that website its a good one but check that what you are lookin at is still in stock there stuff goes like free money

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have said . . I'm avoiding PC World . . friend's wife had a bad experence. After several weeks of hair pulling which did not see the problem fixed and lot's spent on the help line, she marched up to her local store and dumped the problem PC outside and made a huge fuss until she got her money back. :)

basicly why i think a lot of people dont like them, my reason was they screwed me for 64mb Ram

£50 when i coulda got same for £30 but the place was out of stock.

why a laptop? ,most colleges have abundant pc's so he could work on them and bring his work home to a real pc on a dvd ,i never worked out what laptops are for other than taking notes and a handheld nowadays will do that with a folding keyboard ,laptops are obselete before their made a bugger (ney impossible in most cases) to upgrade and use crippled processors to run anything more than basic word processing software ("gaming laptops" in a description make me laugh) they cant ,even high end games pc's have bigger cpu and graphics card coolers than the laptop its self never mind the rest.

:D

a good pocket pc will handle most college stuff and has gps so he can find his way home as well and a phone so he can text the student 3 feet away :D

at least with a pocket pc its lighter so he wont get tiredy tim carrying it and its harder to get stolen since it lives in your pocket .just plug it in the schools pc to upload and download his sums and naughty pictures ;)

the strangest thing in my mind is a laptop thats used as a home pc on the mains continually :o why have a obselete before bought plate when a pc will last 6 months before its obselete (in gaming terms) and have the option of a larger screen ,faster processor and replaceable motherboard etc.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

,laptops are obselete before their made a bugger (ney impossible in most cases) to upgrade and use crippled processors to run anything more than basic word processing software ("gaming laptops" in a description make me laugh) they cant ,even high end games pc's have bigger cpu and graphics card coolers than the laptop its self never mind the rest.

:D

got to stop you there m8

Click here and go to the laptops section

id buy one if i could afford it that is :(

why a laptop?

Because a lot of college work these days comes down to presentation. A lot of the time this means Powerpoint on projector screens from a laptop. Having your own laptop means less likelihood of problems. There's nothing more stressful (and less "professional" looking) than having something unexpected go wrong with a machine that you have borrowed and having to fumble around trying to sort it out!

Andy 1984

Thanks. The Dell looks good, ticks a lot of boxes . . what do they mean by a "French" keyboard.

Always been happy with Dell PC's so the Laptops and Notebooks should be OK.

Chesters.

We're after a Laptop as we have a PC already and space is tight. We would stick with just the PC but I now have 2 in their teens and one 10 year old who all need computers for home work each evening. Which is why at times I don't get a look in until they have finished. They get tonnes of homework/project work which is the penalty of their attending a good school but I'm not complaining even if they are :)

Edited by Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd