More bad BASS news

Ian Burrett

Not quite Steve, Ireland seems on the right track with a closed season, MLS an two fish a day limit I think

Quite right Manxman. There is no commercial bass fishing at all in the Republic Of Ireland where a closed season applies from 15 May to 15 June and only two bass (MLS 40cm) may be retained in any 24 hour period. Bass other than imported fish may not be sold. Unfortunately this does not apply to Northern Ireland. Illegal fishing and the selling of undersize fish however remains a problem.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MLS for Bass in the South Wales Sea Fisheries area has been 37.5cms since 1997. The SWSFC were quite happy to see that rise to 42cm but no more. They are as surprised as Anglers by this press release.

Sustainable with the current stocks: Much was made of the 2002 year spawnings. This year we were supposed to be fed up with catching them, a pest. Reality is for shore Anglers down here the year has been rubbish. Something happened to them.

Never mind, the Assembly elections are next year. Let's hope Welsh Anglers remember this farce then.

Details of the NFFO campaign to overturn the increases:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po..._Kicks_Off.html

Hello Leon

Did you have a good meeting At Leigh On Sea yesterday? Talk on the ships radio today says it was a pile of crap.

For what its worth, I hope the NFFO campain fails, they would do better to spend their time lobbying the EU to get the increase to include all of Europe.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Leon

Did you have a good meeting At Leigh On Sea yesterday? Talk on the ships radio today says it was a pile of crap.

For what its worth, I hope the NFFO campain fails, they would do better to spend their time lobbying the EU to get the increase to include all of Europe.

Hi Wurzel,

Problem was the meeting had one agenda and purpose, and the attendees had another!

So everybody gets a little 'frustrated'.

Good to meet some of the lads that I hadn't met before though.

IMO the NFFO campaign has more to do with increasing the profile of the NFFO amongst the inshore sector, than any prospect of actually achieving what they want.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Wurzel,

Problem was the meeting had one agenda and purpose, and the attendees had another!

So everybody gets a little 'frustrated'.

Good to meet some of the lads that I hadn't met before though.

IMO the NFFO campaign has more to do with increasing the profile of the NFFO amongst the inshore sector, than any prospect of actually achieving what they want.

Hello Leon

If the tides and weather had not been so good I would have been there.

There is a NS RAC meeting in London next Friday, might be worth you going, the Doc might be there, if the weather is bad I will be there, it is the first day of the next set of springs and the bass are calling, always the same with these meetings, it's alright for the Professional meeting attendents, it can cost us big time if we are not carefull, just to listen to a load of hot air.

I fish to live and live to fish.

A cynical attempt to swell their membership by getting the inshore sector onside? Surely not :rolleyes::yeah:

Unfortunately Peter, I will be there, (if I can get back from sea in time - away on a herring spawning survey from Sunday pm for a few days). If your going let me know and we can have a few beers after the meeting.

Its funny that other than one or two minor statements that the NFFO haven't got involved in the conflict between the French trawlers (whoops nearly said something disgustingly racist) and the East Yorkshire shellfishermen, still nothing new in that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc.

Edited by The doctor

Hello Leon

hi peter

???

steve