Piking disaster

msutton

The water is extremely shallow. 60 yards out I am barely at the top of my waders. It very gradually gets deeper as it goes out so with an 80 yard cast from there I am fishing in slightly deeper water, maybe 5ft.

Maybe I dont need to wade as far, but fishing in 2-3ft of water at this time of year isnt normally productive.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

[ 03. December 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: msutton ]

msutton:

I went out around 60 yards from the bank and the water wasnt even over my waders.

Before you put a foot into water like that on a mild winter day I would advise you to try a surface lure. Wounded spooks or dying flutters by Heddons are two really good ones. Cast them as far as you can and retrieve them in fits and starts. Pike are quite happy to feed in fairly shallow water - they have to be because that is where a lot of the fish they eat are likely to be found. It is so exciting to see a bow wave intercept your surface lure as you retrieve it and once hooked a pike does everything it can to get back to deeper water just as soon as it can!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

It may not sound very adventurous, but angling is so much about confidence that in your shoes I'd go and fish exactly where the guy who got 5 was standing and fish with wobbled smelt, like him. Once you've caught it gives confidence and you can move on to lures etc. That's just me, I realise, but in my best hotspot a couple of years ago I rarely caught on lures, but usually did on wobbled smelt.

john clarke

Wher you fishing mate?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

If it's any consolation msutton, I walked miles down the river lure fishing yesterday without a sniff. Expectation was high when I set off with my new pack of Storm softbaits, they look irrisistible (to me anyway), by the end of the day I would have bet good money that there was not one fish in that river.