final verdicts on neoprene waders!

fishtr8

Hell all,

I am new to this kayak fishing lark and have thoroughly enjoyed my summer of fishing in board shorts or shortie wetsuit (+PDF of course)! It is the winter that I am approaching with trepidation!

After having just bought an excellent YAK Vision dry cag at AS Watersports' show last weekend, I am beginning to equip myself for the colder months! However I am still very unsure about what to wear on my legs.

After reseraching this site I found the report on Neoprene Wader myths (http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=65016&hl=waders#entry649481) and was amazed to see that they are strongly recommended as a safer option to other alternatives so I have purchased some! However throughout this purchasing ALL of the assistants in the fishing shop explained thier very strong views against the use of waders on a yak due to the "Extreme dangers of drowning when falling in!!!" Please could you help settle my confusion once and for all!!

How many of you use neoprene waders as your winter kayak wear?

How many of you have experience of falling in and "reboarding the yak" in neoprene waders?

Please respond if possible, as I really want to be safe and warm this winter on my yak!!

Cheers, Fishtr8.

tr8

Tarpon 140

I really want to be safe and warm this winter on my yak!!

Cheers, Fishtr8.

If you really want to be safe and warm I've got only one word to say to you

DRYSUIT!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

DRYSUIT!

Plus a nice warm hat :thumbs::sun:

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

DRYSUIT!

I got neoprene waders but could not find an answer to your question so i bought a dry suit!

you will need a dry suit in the winter as waders will not cover your body like a dry suit!

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

DRYSUIT!

He's got a point :) But if you have already got em and want to use em safely, I would try standing in the water with the proposed gear on, whilst supervised by a buddy or two (and maybe even a safety tied to waist etc and held by buddies) and try submerging, getting on / off the yak (again supervised and assisted by friends etc) until you are comfortable with the safety aspect.

There used to be a safety problem with waders and a few people have drowned by not being able to kick them off, but I believe this is the old style where water coud get down inside. However, if neoprene waders absorb a little water, like a wetsuit would, then would this make it hard to get back on, or would assist to float you, like a wetsuit?. Hence the test!!! :)

Good luck and be safe

SDD~~~~~~~~ :sun:

hi fishtr8

good subject, i started this summer aswell and i'm planning on winter fishing, so after much research on the forums i have decided to go with the waders option and a dry top sealing around the waist, i know that a lot of poeple on this forum think the waders is a bad idea but for me i feel it is the best option, i've already been using them and found them great, they keep you warm and dry, for me cost was a big factor , not all of us can afford £200-£300 for a dry suit, my biggest concern was safety, so i have tried out the waders in shallow water, i found that you are very bouyant even if water gets in and i found it fairly easy to get back in the kayak.

my winter fishing will be in torbay which is fairly sheltered and never far from the shore so this was another factor, if you are planning to fish miles away from your launch point then you may have a concern if you get wet you will have to get back to the car and your change of dry clothing in which time it maybe to late

goodluck this winter.

great forum, so many different points of view, it all helps us to make informed choices and at the end of the day we all want the same thing, good fishing in the safest possible way

cheers

jon

When we were kids we were always told never to wear wellies in boats (even though the yachty types always seem to wear yellow ones!) The problem is they fill with water. Therefore it depends how tight your neoprene waders fit around the waist. I would suggest that no matter how tight they are when dry they will still fill with water pretty quickly and be impossible to remove in an emergency. The other issue is how heavy are they? Their own weight plus water could make moving in the water and getting back on your yak very difficult.

Personally I use a full winter wet suit with thick boots and a wind proof top during the colder times of year. I'm warm if I keep dry and soon warm up in the event that I get a dunking as long as I don't sit still.

This is one of these popular urban myths, chest waders would only do you good if you fell in, especially neoprene ones.

Have a look at this article, should help dispell any myths : http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Thanks everyone for the replies! Keep them coming!

I am strongly with jonsok 1 so far as you talk of real experiences rather than hearsay and old wives (mothers) tales!

I also have noticed that Mr Everett recommend the use of neoprene waders in this week's angler's mail writeup on kayak angling. Surely someone with his expereinec can't be wrong, can they??

Fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

Waders=wet x cold winter water=shorter session through discomfort=less fishing---not for me!

winter water temps! I remember when I was working in Hamburg repairing the dock walls and I fell off the pontoon we were working on---the water temp that day was 4. I wasn't even in the water for 1 minute but I certainly felt the effects---had to have the next day off with a thumping headache----the Jerries told me 15 mins in there and you're dead!If they hadn't had hot showers on site it would have definately been a lot worse

There is no way in this world that I would yak in something in winter that allowed water in ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph