Moving Fish

Emz

Right, if my plec will survive the journey (IF) I want to move him to Somerset. From his current home to Somerset will be a good 6 / 7 hour journey (with no stops!! and providing some numpty doesn't decide to block up the M5 for 3 hours :rolleyes: )

I've worked out a way that I can keep a heater & filter pump with him, but I'm not sure he'll survive the stress of being moved :(

Any suggestions / pointers? If there is any possibility that he won't survive the journey, I'll have to re-home him locally. I've had him for 3 /4 years now and if I can help it, I want to keep him with me :)

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

I have had live tropical fish delivered by post and courier several times without any problems. Provided that the fish is kept warm in a properly insulated and packed box he should be alright for at least twelve hours or more in just the ususal plastic bag full of water without any need for aeration or extra heating.

At that time of year I would double up on the insulation and if possible get hold of some of the chemical heat packs that the commercials use. They are a sort of great big tea bag with chemicals in that give off heat when crushed. They should only cost a pound or two. Cheap when compared to the price of a good fish.

But there should be no problems I had three two inch long Discus delivered in January of this year from Plymouth and they were none the worse for wear after they were unpacked.

theres an old Viz "top tip " from years ago :

Moving fish? dont want to lose water?

put bowl in freezer overnight!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Unless you are travelling in a 1966 Hillman Imp I wouldn't worry about heat blocks etc. If your car is warm enough for you it's not going to be far off warm enough for the fish. Letting the water cool a few degrees won't harm it anyway because cooler water holds more oxygen. Just stick your bag of water in a cool box (they are magic, they can keep stuff warm as well, how do they know?) and I wouldn't expect any problem. Carry it inside the car obviously, not in a freezing cold boot, stick a seatbelt through the handle so it can't fall over. Don't forget it is important to have plenty of air in the bag before you tie it up.

• 1 month later...
<_< You have probably already moved your fish? What you can do is put a little salt in the water you transport the fish in - it helps to replace the 'slime' cover on the fish, when they get stressed from the move. Water temp should stay as stable as possible - a bit cooler is better than warmer, as when the water cools the fish's metabolism slows down a bit which is better than overheating. :)