making boilies

howdy484

is it ok to use nash squid liver boilie dip as aflavouring in a boilie mix.

I would advise not. It's a boilie dip not a flavour. At best it's just a dilution of the flavour in a different carrier / solvent. Buy the proper flavour and use at the recommended levels to start with but experiment. I don't make bait very much now but I used to make lots of 1 egg batches with different amounts of flavour and see which I preferd. You need to freeze them as normal and then try them out for smell etc - or just stick with the manufacturers levels.

If you use it in a base mix you will have no idea how much to use so it will be lots of guess work and trial and error. So you'll waste money and dip that you could have avoided by buying the actual flavour.

Rob.

Hi,

I agree with Rob, use the base flavouring in the receomended amount.

I have never understood this principle of drying out baits then putting the flavour back in, what's the point. It could have come from a technique known as overflavouring which is simply adding neat flavour to freshly rolled baits to replace the flavour lost during the boiling which I totally understand and is the technique employed when I roll my baits. As to drying out the flavour and putting it back in it

If you have any questions about bait making try Simon at Quality Baits (01675 481726) he knows his stuff back to front, make sure you have some specific questions though and know what sort of answer you want.

Hope this helps......

Stu.

Edited by Marginmaster

Hi,

I agree with Rob, use the base flavouring in the receomended amount.

I have never understood this principle of drying out baits then putting the flavour back in, what's the point. It could have come from a technique known as overflavouring which is simply adding neat flavour to freshly rolled baits to replace the flavour lost during the boiling which I totally understand and is the technique employed when I roll my baits. As to drying out the flavour and putting it back in it

If you have any questions about bait making try Simon at Quality Baits (01675 481726) he knows his stuff back to front, make sure you have some specific questions though and know what sort of answer you want.

Hope this helps......

Stu.

Stu,

The reason I add flavour afterwards, well more to the point just before freezing, is firsly to replace any flavour lost during the boiling, but more so when the boilies are defrosted, the leakage rate is nice and high for a short period. So to me it makes them more high attract, but is does depend on the flavour used, as to how "strong" it is. A dip will not be very strong as compared with say a flavour designed for cooking into the boilie, to me flavour leak rates are very important. Home made boilies are at the best of times a pain, I get a shop to do mine, then you know the mix is correct. But I think it is all part of the learning curve to have a go at making your own, fun at first. I mean nash dips and flavours are to me just about the best you are ever going to get.

Roger