Float rod with both hollow and spliced tips

Anderoo

Since moving I'm using my creaky old match rod more and more and I think it's about time I treated myself to a new one. Ideally I'd like one with both a hollow tip and a spliced tip - can you get rods like this? If so, are they any good? Or maybe I'm better off with a very fine hollow tip which will suffice for waggler and stick work?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Since moving I'm using my creaky old match rod more and more and I think it's about time I treated myself to a new one. Ideally I'd like one with both a hollow tip and a spliced tip - can you get rods like this? If so, are they any good? Or maybe I'm better off with a very fine hollow tip which will suffice for waggler and stick work?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Rod technology has come on in leaps and bounds and I can't see the need for a spliced tip nowadays. There are so many good float rods out there (ok, a load of dung too), and personally I would go for a Fast Action rod. There are versions available for fishing at different lengths, so you'll get one to suit your style.

Cheers Ducktape :)

It's been 15-odd years since I've bought a float rod. My old Daiwa Tornado II (I think it's called) is still basically OK but it's quite heavy and creaks now and again! I suppose I want to spend £100ish, less if possible.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Ducktape :)

It's been 15-odd years since I've bought a float rod. My old Daiwa Tornado II (I think it's called) is still basically OK but it's quite heavy and creaks now and again! I suppose I want to spend £100ish, less if possible.

I still use the very same rod :D

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

For stick float fishing on running water or for that matter any float fishing on running water its a spliced tip for me every time. For roach and perch fishing the spliced tip float rod is my preffered rod of choice every time due to its ability to soften the strike and absorb some of those lunges that roach and perch employ to shed the hook

You can buy a hollow tipped rod to do what you want and Tacklebargains have some for sale as seconds at one hell of a reduced rate, the only thing that makes them seconds is the transfers(decals) are a bit wonky, nothing wrong with the blank. Look for the Normark rods on their site, there is a link from here to their site on here somewhere

For a "match" type rod or good quality float rod with interchangeble hollow and spliced tips then Harrisons rods are what you want. Order both tips at the same time and they will be a perfect guaranteed fit on quality blanks, I have three of their rods and they are superb bits of kit

Elton was advertising some top of the range Normark rods on here no so long back at massivly reduced prices.

In my opinion top of the range hollow tip match rods are better than spliced tips as they are just as responisive and can be used for any type of float.

When I say top end I mean rods in the 200 - 300 quid bracket.

I was forutante enough a few years ago to make a very cheap purchase of some limited edition Map parabolix rods (matchtek waggler, carptek waggler and matchtek feeder) that fall into this range.

If you want to know more do a search as the techincal details are posted somewhere on here.

The are also guaranteed for life.

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

In my opinion top of the range hollow tip match rods are better than spliced tips as they are just as responisive and can be used for any type of float.

When I say top end I mean rods in the 200 - 300 quid bracket.

I didn't want to be accused of being unreal in my first post, but yes, you only get what you pay for, and I don't think much more important than with float rods. The difference in quality far outweighs the difference in price.

I had a look at the reduced Normark rods and while I would dearly love to splash out it really isn't an option at the moment. I think I'll try to find a fast actioned hollow tip rod which is fairly light and well balanced that I can afford - if not I'll stick with the old Daiwa warhorse!

I had a look at the reduced Normark rods and while I would dearly love to splash out it really isn't an option at the moment. I think I'll try to find a fast actioned hollow tip rod which is fairly light and well balanced that I can afford - if not I'll stick with the old Daiwa warhorse!

Remember that balance has nothing to do with the weight of the rod. You really have to try it with a reel first off, to see if the size of reel you require, balances the rod. A heavy rod will feel feather light with the right reel.

I always used to use Tricast spliced tip rods for light wagler and stick float type work but these days Ijust cant see the point. Most of my float fishing for everything from Gudgeon to small carp (5-6lbs) is done with the same Maver reactorlite match rod. They wer @ £200 but I got mine for £99 as they were being superceded. It is one of these "anti lock" rods which allows it to be used for a much wider range of applications. Just look around for an expensive/quality hollow tip rod that is just about to be replaced or is a cosmetic second.