HP Photosmart 320

Cranfield

Firstly, I must say that I am not a photgrapher of any merit, but merely a snapper of caught fish and pleasant things, so please don't blind me with too much technical science. ;)

I have a HP Photosmart 320, which is about 5 years old and it seems to taking different light pictures , on the same day in identical conditions.

Here is an example.

Bramble10.jpg

Bramble11.jpg

When I print the lighter exposure pictures off, I get greys becoming gingery.

There is no better way to explain it.

Is it time to buy a new camera, or is something adjustable, or repairable, or is it just me ?

Edited by Cranfield

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Brian (how you doing mate:) )

Checked the exif data on your pics and they were taken at different shutter speeds, the first one (Bramble) taken at 1/125 and F4.5, the second taken at 1/50 and F4.5.

Not sure how this info helps though :) perhaps you were facing different ways into the light?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hiya Den, I'm surviving this cruel world remarkably well. ;)

It wasn't a sunny day when those pictures were taken, it was the brighter side of dull.

In fact I was facing the same direction for both pics, just in different parts of the garden.

The only real difference I can think of, was that I was closer to the pup in the second (darker) picture.

The camera has no external adjustment facilities at all.

Would you consider the detail of the picture clear and crisp enough ?

How long does a well used, much travelled digital camera last ?

Cranfield, I have no technical expertise, however that looks remarkably like a problem I had recently with my Canon S50. Different camera I know but the problem was the control chip, the camera seemed to choos at random what setting it would use for a picture from minute to minute. All 'D' have these control chips, mine was repaired at a cost of £80 :o but considerably cheaper than replacing it after only 2 years use.

If you have no user controls, then 'the tail is waging the dog', looks like the 'auto white ballance' has taken a dive? HP 320, RIP?? :lol:

Good basic digitalis are surprisingly sophisticated, a contradiction in term I know, but thats how it is, you can get a lot for your dosh these days!

Cliff, :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Blimey, it is so obvious I nearly missed it......................................it's a different dog :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I think the lack of light in the second pic is because the fence is creating a darker situation, not sure there's anything wrong with the camera.

When I print the lighter exposure pictures off, I get greys becoming gingery.

There is no better way to explain it.

Could it be the printer at fault

Just for fun, I've switched the colours around a bit, (not a perfect job), took about three minutes in total.

cranfield0zk7.jpg

cranfield1bs8.jpg

I think the lack of light in the second pic is because the fence is creating a darker situation, not sure there's anything wrong with the camera.

Could it be the printer at fault

Just for fun, I've switched the colours around a bit, (not a perfect job), took about three minutes in total.

Ajay, I think that tells the storey mate, your are playing about with the colour balance, I think the camera control over light 'white balance' is up the shoot. Low light or Shadow will simply under expose, it wont change the various light value's, as appears to be happening here. Its almost as thought the camera is taking a flash picture, white balance set to daylight, but the light source is tungsten electric light bulb? A few more test to make sure??? and then look for a new camera Cranfield. :mellow:;)

Cliff :ph34r:

I think that I will replace the camera, rather than try to "pose" my shots.

Most of which are taken ad hoc and without too much notice of light positions etc.,

Looking back over earlier photographs, this problem seems to have only appeared in the last few months.

Its dificult to be certain, because I may have rejected some pictures in the past, but it does seem recent.

Thanks for the helpful comments. :thumbs: