just wondering why

barry luxton

Well, at least it out of our hands (for better or worse) and I suggest we would all be better pursuing our chosen occupation or going about our our last vestiges of 'hunter/gatherer' and enjoy our fishing.

All the bitter debates on here and on WSF mean absolutely nuffink in the separate world of the law-makers.

Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:21:06 GMT Brussels -

The European Union's executive body on Wednesday called for a complete overhaul of the bloc's bitterly controversial fisheries policy, setting up a potential clash with member states. "Short-term decision-making, coupled with irresponsible behaviour by certain parts of the industry, continue to penalize those fishermen who act for the common good. The result is a vicious circle which has undermined both the ecological balance of our oceans and the economic profitability of the sector," the European Commission said in a statement.

The commission "therefore proposes that a full review of the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) should be launched immediately, in order to prepare the ground for a major reform of the institutional framework of European fisheries management," the statement said.

The CFP has long been one of the EU's most controversial policies. Fishermen say that it does not allow them to make a living, while environmentalists say that it has destroyed Europe's fish stocks.

And the commission, whose task it is to enforce the policy's quotas, says that member states regularly breach catch quotas, while member states complain that the quotas are too low.

In 2002, EU member states agreed a hard-fought reform of the CFP, introducing long-term planning and measures to fight illegal fishing.

But commission officials say that the most serious structural problems remain, especially the fact that the EU's fishing fleet is currently so big that it can catch up to three times more fish than Europe's seas can provide.

Furthermore, "fishermen must be made responsible and accountable for the sustainable use of a public resource," while "the goal of ecological sustainability must be placed before economic and social sustainability, since it is the precondition which makes them possible," the statement said.

EU Fisheries Commissioner Joe Borg is therefore set to discuss the issue with EU fisheries ministers at a meeting on September 29. If the ministers back his call for a full review, he will make a formal proposal in early 2009, the statement said.

However, the call for reform is likely to provoke a stormy debate in Europe, as it looks certain to re-ignite the ongoing row between environmental and pro-fishing lobbies.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have'nt a clue about the story regarding the development. Me neither.

FWIW i've seen nothing but years of negative coverage about the Stevensons; FWIW they press all the wrong buttons for me, but they still deserve to be heard and their opinion taken seriously however much it grates. They may know a thing or two?

Chris

I would hope that there are a lot more honest fisherman out there who deserve a platform, in particular amongst the under tens who are the dominant factor in the fishing industry. Or is this the best on offer. Damaged goods who apart from making use and are on board shaping the system for all, think nothing of abusing it. Can't be right, just wondering. ;)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

post-9664-1221678996_thumb.jpg

I wonder when the trawler on the beach caught anywhere as much fish as six anglers did with us. :fishing1:

You can take photos and add what ever text you like to them Barry. :rtfm:

I have seen both sides of the story and could debate for ever on here about the wrongs and wrights of both the commercial and recreational industries. :cold:

Now does anybody know where I could get a deep freeze for me Kayak? :bigemo_harabe_net-183:

All these fillets relate to a lot of cod, codling, didn't anyone say enough's enough and ask for a change of tactics or try for something else, or was it imperative to carry on coding until the fish boxes run out.

I arrived too late in the day regarding John Brennans fishing trips. I would have liked to have done a big ling trip for example as opposed to cod, cod, cod. Just my preference btw.

What do you want to deepfreeze a kayak for Challenge. :P

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
All these fillets relate to a lot of cod, codling, didn't anyone say enough's enough and ask for a change of tactics or try for something else, or was it imperative to carry on coding until the fish boxes run out.

I arrived too late in the day regarding John Brennans fishing trips. I would have liked to have done a big ling trip for example as opposed to cod, cod, cod. Just my preference btw.

What do you want to deepfreeze a kayak for Challenge. :P

Very good point Barry.

The five years I was with john I must admit there wasn’t many times that I heard many anglers say, “e have plenty skipper can we cut the trip short and go home” or “ could we catch something else because there is only so much prime cod that a man and his family can eat”

Maybe it was because they paid a lot of money to come with us? They all came equipped to carry plenty home with them. They where getting all there fish gutted cleaned and filleted for them, so lots of fish wasn’t going to slow them down.

It’s amazing to sea the enthusiasm on angler’s faces when you get on to wrecks where there is plenty of fish and there is a feeding frenzy among the fish and a fishing frenzy among the anglers. I saw it quite a bit when I was commercial fishing as well. It must be human nature to a point.

John use to take so much fish of a wreck (say 50 stone) then he would miss the wreck a couple of times and say “that’s it on that one lads, think we will move and try another” knowing fine well that there was plenty of fish still on the wreck but knowing what reception he would get if he was to say “ that’s plenty off that one, for conservational reasons we will go and find another wreck and take a few off that one if there is any”

On the 3 day trips you would be amazed at the amount of cooler boxes etc that the anglers would bring in order to carry say 15 or 20 stones of fillets each home with them.

If we would have had to of bought the quota for the amount of fish that our anglers caught in a year then we would have had to of certainly of tried something else Barry as we would never of made a profit. But it was loads of cod that made John’s business so successful. Loads of fish and the opportunity to spend a few days at sea fishing some of the riches cod wrecks in the North Sea. The only reason that they where so rich was because nobody else fished them Barry. :)

Regards.