Flounder Bash.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there folks.

Well.........got down to the slipway at about 08.30.

Cracking morning, little grey, but the wind was very slight, and nooooo rain.

Had fresh peeler for bait.

Tide was running in so paddled up river with it.

Came to the first stop, and latched on to a mooring pick up bouy.

The Scrambler XT sat there nicely in the flow.

Baited up a flipped it away, not 5 mins later the rod tip gave a very nice rattle.

From the way it went I had a good idea it wasnt a Flounder.

After another good rattle, I wound into the fish, great little scrap from a schoolie, of a bout 1 1/2 to 2lb.

Thats the way it continued, no Flounder at all, just 7 small Bass, all good sport.

Fished it 2 up and 2 down.

Think I may take the fly rod along tomorrow aswell, because while sitting at the mooring and paddling back across the flats, I saw boil after boil on top of the water.

Supprised at how little boat traffic there was this morning.

Sorry, no photos,went to take a couple before launch, and battery was flat in camera.

Hopefully get some tomorrow.

I hope the rest of you that fished, had better results.......well kind of :schmoll:

Nifty, Tom, etc.....how did you do ?

God this is gonna hurt :rolleyes::D

Cheers.

Bill.

Hi there folks.

Well.........got down to the slipway at about 08.30.

Cracking morning, little grey, but the wind was very slight, and nooooo rain.

Had fresh peeler for bait.

Tide was running in so paddled up river with it.

Came to the first stop, and latched on to a mooring pick up bouy.

The Scrambler XT sat there nicely in the flow.

Baited up a flipped it away, not 5 mins later the rod tip gave a very nice rattle.

From the way it went I had a good idea it wasnt a Flounder.

After another good rattle, I wound into the fish, great little scrap from a schoolie, of a bout 1 1/2 to 2lb.

Thats the way it continued, no Flounder at all, just 7 small Bass, all good sport.

Fished it 2 up and 2 down.

Think I may take the fly rod along tomorrow aswell, because while sitting at the mooring and paddling back across the flats, I saw boil after boil on top of the water.

Supprised at how little boat traffic there was this morning.

Sorry, no photos,went to take a couple before launch, and battery was flat in camera.

Hopefully get some tomorrow.

I hope the rest of you that fished, had better results.......well kind of :schmoll:

Nifty, Tom, etc.....how did you do ?

God this is gonna hurt :rolleyes::D

Cheers.

Bill.

Hi Bill

shame you didn't have any flatties :yahoo::D

All i can say for now is that we had lots of lovely rain and wind :(

I will leave the fishing report for Nifty to put up

ATB Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

Hi Tom.

Im sooooo sorry you had all that rain and wind........... :bleh::yahoo::D

But glad you were able to get out.

Sort of looking forward to Niftys report and pics :rolleyes:

I didnt get out today :wallbash: , went out with my Son and Son in law last night.......never again......Bless em :D

Come on then Nifty......lets have it.

Bill :)

Hiya Rob.

Mad rush......know what you mean :)

Same as you, we do o.k. normaly.

Our chap has moved, managed to get 5 doz last week, just hope hes still supplying come the fest meet.

Heard any news of the dates yet ?

Hope the turn out is a good one.

Bill.

Got a feeling its the first weekend in December this year could be wrong but this date sticks in my mind from last year.

Nice report Bill, a bit of Bass action Good stuff :thumbs:

Never had much luck on the teign before the first cold spell of the winter, but I read in the local paper that 2lb + flounder were caught in Torquay Harbour last week :sneaky2:

Edited by yakerbass
anglersnetsig.jpg

Well I'm afraid the Flounder bash went the same way as the Tope bash in June :angry:

Not a single one in three days of fishing.

Friday we fished the Dyfi with a near gale force S/W blowing with the ebb tide and after 5 hours we'd managed just half a dozen small schoolies between us on rag baited spoons.

Saturday was equally windy and just to make it more miserable it poured down for most of the day. We just fished in the harbour at Aberystwyth trying the spoons again but also doing a bit of floatfishing and legering a variety of baits. (Rag, Lug Mackerel & Mussel) Another five hours there and not a sniff and just to rub it in two lads fishing from the back of their boats on the moorings pulled out a couple of schoolies about 2lb or so :giveup:

As we packed up in the gloom on Saturday evening I'd decided that that was enough punishment for one weekend and after saying goodbye to Tom and apologising again for the lack of fish I headed back to the caravan and washed all the gear off and put it away.

This morning however, once I'd cleared my head from a cider induced fuzz, I looked out to find the sun shining and the wind gone so decided to try again at the Dyfi. Conditions were ideal and with some fresh Rag and a pack of frozen Slipper Limpet I was confident of getting one. Five hours later and I was wishing I hadn't bothered. Loads of crabs but no fish at all again. The only reason I can think of, besides my incompetence, for the lack of Flounder is the amount of rain that had gone through and stained the water. Well that's my excuse anyway :D

A schoolie on the spoon on Friday,

Image013.jpg

A miserable view out to the harbour mouth at Aber on Saturday,

Image015.jpg

I hope you had better luck today Bill if you went otherwise there'll have to be a re-match :thumbs:

Stuart.

Hiya Rob.

Thankyou, shame there wasnt a few pics to go with it.

First week in Dec sounds good.

Torquay Harbour.......bogger me Rob.........thats some cast from the teign :D:D;)

I have a great story to tell you about one year we fished it, next time we meet, Ill tell you.

Cheers Rob.

Hiya Rob.

Thankyou, shame there wasnt a few pics to go with it.

First week in Dec sounds good.

Torquay Harbour.......bogger me Rob.........thats some cast from the teign :D:D;)

I have a great story to tell you about one year we fished it, next time we meet, Ill tell you.

Cheers Rob.

:blink: OOOOOPS

Hiya Nifty and Tom.

Nice report and pics Nifty.

Sorry you had such miserable weather there.

Its strange that the Flounder are so thin on the ground, and it seems to be quite wide spread.

The Devon rivers used to hold some quality fish, as "Yakerbass....Rob....kindly pointed out to you :D

Hopefully if we get a cold snap, it may spur them into a frenzy......if theres any there of course :rolleyes:

So then chaps.....is a re match on the cards...... B)

Cheers.

Bill. :)

Sorry I could not make it Nifty

We missed each others calls and I tried sending you a PM explaining the reasons but your inbox was full

the mad rush on friday night and the missus being ill also put me off.

The weather forecast did not help either.

We will have to arrange something again.

Hope you except my appologies.

STU

Edited by s2vto

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Hiya Nifty and Tom.

Nice report and pics Nifty.

Sorry you had such miserable weather there.

Its strange that the Flounder are so thin on the ground, and it seems to be quite wide spread.

The Devon rivers used to hold some quality fish, as "Yakerbass....Rob....kindly pointed out to you :D

Hopefully if we get a cold snap, it may spur them into a frenzy......if theres any there of course :rolleyes:

So then chaps.....is a re match on the cards...... B)

Cheers.

Bill. :)

A re-match sounds good :yeah:

Lets hope for a cold snap in the not to distant future :cold:

ATB Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)