Sea / River

SeaDooDavid

OK then

Which rivers hold pike, and how far up do you have to be to find them?. My local Estuary meets fresh water after only a few miles and it is very navigable by kayak and appears not to be fished by anybody!. I see hundreds of big mullet over the years near to the Estuary side, and I know that trout are in the river a lot higher up. Is there any signs to look for to indicate pike?. I have never seen anything that I would imagine to be pike and I dont think there are other "course" fish. Unless of course pike are only in lakes and canals etc?. Just curious :rolleyes:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Pike are pretty much everywhere in fresh water. I tend to fish rivers but also have a crack in dykes on the marshes around here sometimes - come spawning time and you will find big ones in insignificant waters.

Generally speaking where the other coarse fish are are you'll likely find pike too, and I'd be more than enthusiastic about trying where there are trout - they like the taste of them!.

Is there a local angling club you could contact - or PACGB branch? Even better, ask in the tackle shops - they'd know.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Pike are pretty much everywhere in fresh water. I tend to fish rivers but also have a crack in dykes on the marshes around here sometimes - come spawning time and you will find big ones in insignificant waters.

Generally speaking where the other coarse fish are are you'll likely find pike too, and I'd be more than enthusiastic about trying where there are trout - they like the taste of them!.

Is there a local angling club you could contact - or PACGB branch? Even better, ask in the tackle shops - they'd know.

Superb! Thanks Mark

Dave

OK then

Which rivers hold pike, and how far up do you have to be to find them?. My local Estuary meets fresh water after only a few miles and it is very navigable by kayak and appears not to be fished by anybody!. I see hundreds of big mullet over the years near to the Estuary side, and I know that trout are in the river a lot higher up. Is there any signs to look for to indicate pike?. I have never seen anything that I would imagine to be pike and I dont think there are other "course" fish. Unless of course pike are only in lakes and canals etc?. Just curious :rolleyes:

I know that in Sweden Pike live in Brackish fyords. I think that you will need to find the point that the river is more fresh than salt water. Pike do live in the tidal river Trent so good luck! At the worst you will have had a good days Yakking. :)

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

I know that in Sweden Pike live in Brackish fyords. I think that you will need to find the point that the river is more fresh than salt water. Pike do live in the tidal river Trent so good luck! At the worst you will have had a good days Yakking. :)

Cheers for that Nigel :) Like you say a good day out in the yak is never a loss :yeah:

I will ask in the local tackle shop like you said earlier Mark :yeah:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Seado ,

i was a member of Millom Anglers for many years as a lad. Guess that would be your first port of call. Fished what are your local rivers the Esk and Irt a lot but dont recall any Pike coming out. no doubt they are there but not in great numbers. Also fished the Ehen a heck of a lot as a youth and likewise never saw any but did hear reports of a big un up near Ennerdale. Think the Derwent near Bassenthwaite is the place to try if my fast diminishing memory serves me right :)

Ok Prowler 13

Hi Seado ,

i was a member of Millom Anglers for many years as a lad. Guess that would be your first port of call. Fished what are your local rivers the Esk and Irt a lot but dont recall any Pike coming out. no doubt they are there but not in great numbers. Also fished the Ehen a heck of a lot as a youth and likewise never saw any but did hear reports of a big un up near Ennerdale. Think the Derwent near Bassenthwaite is the place to try if my fast diminishing memory serves me right :)

Hi Martin :)

Yeah, it's the Esk I am talking about!. It runs past the "end of my road" kind of thing (about half a mile!) up towards Muncaster. I have seen huge amounts of BIG mullet but not noticed much else (besides sea fish nearer to the Estuary obviously) was curious as I would love to have a stab at pike, but have never fished for them here! and need to swat up a bit :rolleyes: I have heard that Fellfoot at W/mere has some BIG pike? so gonna check what gear I need etc and may give them a go in the future! Darnsarf (think its DS who fishes for mulet) would be sick if he saw the mullet that pass by me here! They are huge and are lots of em, never see anybody fishing for em either :blink:

Cheers mate

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Hiya SDD

Never fished Fellfoot but use it a lot for getting on to W/mere. You will need your trolley if you're on your todd as its all up hill back to the carpark. River looks very pedunkle gravel banks reedy bays etc but I could imagine the lake a bit hits and miss. There are some reefs and shallow bays in the main lake past Lakeside Quay which could be worth a look. Saw some guys bivvied up there last weekend. Watch out for the dingy racing though because they have right of way on w/mere. It appears the hierarchy is xxxx about face here. with canoes/kayaks being the lowest of the low. The Steamers at the top. Can't say I'd particularly wat to argue the point. Discretion being the better part of valour. They look quite big from a yak.

Let me know how you get on.

Hiya SDD

Never fished Fellfoot but use it a lot for getting on to W/mere. You will need your trolley if you're on your todd as its all up hill back to the carpark. River looks very pedunkle gravel banks reedy bays etc but I could imagine the lake a bit hits and miss. There are some reefs and shallow bays in the main lake past Lakeside Quay which could be worth a look. Saw some guys bivvied up there last weekend. Watch out for the dingy racing though because they have right of way on w/mere. It appears the hierarchy is xxxx about face here. with canoes/kayaks being the lowest of the low. The Steamers at the top. Can't say I'd particularly wat to argue the point. Discretion being the better part of valour. They look quite big from a yak.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi Costers! :) Yeah I know the hill to the carpark :yucky: done that a few times!. I reckon the reedbeds could be the place, heard tales of pike there!. Have kayaked there (W/mere) lots of times but never fished so just curious to have a go really. Somebody told me they saw a bloke pull a pike out of Coniston last weekend near the walkway / moorings, sounds interesting :thumbs: might give that a go!.

Cheers